One More Time With Feeling/Skeleton Tree - Nick Cave

Agree with you completely here, every time Nick started a sentence I got well angsty at the thought of where it might go. Having said that though, there were some really funny scenes, lots of laughs to be had amidst the gloom (which sounds odd to say).

Shit yeah, how did that go man?

Yeah, for sure. There were a couple of moments when he started talking about something missing and it turned out to be him talking about a song, but for that split second I just got a wave of anxiety. I find it such an incredible thing how he was even able to approach it through film; definitely a couple of moments where you could really see him working hard to keep it together (especially in the taxi, he looked furious at one point).
But yeah, loved the comments from Warren and him about his hair and his son taking the photographs, really wonderful moments. Loved his phrase about using happiness as revenge as well.

Really really good before the film, but we both came out utterly shell shocked; don’t think either of us was expecting to be that emotionally effected by it. Made for a somewhat awkward goodbye. She’s still chatting to me today though so can’t have damaged my chances too much (fingers crossed)

FIRST POST ON A NEW BOARD

Tried to listen to the album and found it a bit upsetting tbh, had to turn off on I Need You. It’s all quite reminiscent of PTSA but a LOT bleaker.

The doc sounds fascinating but difficult

Still digesting the film, has drawn me into a thoughtful and existential mood. Lots of big ideas about life and art and trauma, as expected, but it’s quite different actually seeing someone going through it for two hours.

Could watch master musicians tinkering in the studio forever, so that was great. Quite a few laughs and warmth to the relationships between Cave and others which stopped the whole thing becoming overbearing.

It was powerful the way it skirted around talking about Arthur for a while and then gradually drew closer to the traumatic event through showing Nick and Susie’s interactions. And then, yeah, the end bit hit hard.

Listened to the album once this morning, incredible experience focusing on the music without the visuals. Lots of the first half feels like an extension of the spoken word stuff in the film, just with the backdrop of beautiful piano and Warren Ellis murking and mooding all over. And the last three songs as mentioned are brilliant. Looking forward to getting familiar with it, the lyrics in particular.

i quite like his loops and stage presence and everything. definitely miss Mick Harvey though.

The bit with Susie and that painting, fucking hell, devastating. Not had time to fully comprehend the album, there was definitely some that I thought weren’t great lyrically.

1 Like

Evacuated my brain about this all morning. Now feel even more of a hollow husk. Here’s my review.

1 Like

I often think that nick cave totally fucked the dirty three with his bromance with a third of them.

I wrote about it too! Not as well as Sean, and some people find the very idea of the site for which I write hilarious (but they NEVER explain why), and this MAY contain spoilers. But still: http://fckldn.com/music/nick-cave-the-bad-seeds-one-more-time-with-feeling/

Good on you, excellent review.
24 hrs on & I’m still struggling to articulate how great that was.

1 Like

All of this has made me book a ticket to see it tonight. Will report back, if I’m able.

Should I listen to the album before seeing it, or save myself? There’s loads of the music in the movie right?

Saw the film. Mixed feelings, but ultimately I echo what has been said.

Got the album on cd but not listened yet, waiting for for a chance to listen alone.

All but one song from the album is performed in it. I’d probs hold off on listening to it until after for maximum impact - the flow of the album kind of dictates/works with the flow of the film.

Away from the film the album’s still giving me shivers but it’s not so overbearingly bleak, the songs stand up really well on their own. There’s quite a lot of hope and love between the sadness. Early favourite is Magneto but every track is pretty enthralling.

Ok, just listened in full. It’s hard listen and the emotion, rawness and sketchy nature of its performance comes through. His voice is by no means in top form here. Last two tracks are outstanding, mind.

It did get me thinking though, I mainly just listen to Tender Prey, The Good Son, Let Love In, Abbatoir Blues/Lyre and Push The Sky Away; which of his albums am I missing out on big time? I can’t stand Henry’s Dream and sort of like Murder Ballads.

Kind of an outlier sound-wise, but Boatman’s Call is straight up brilliant. If you enjoy his more recent stuff, Dig! Lazarus Dig! is pretty great. I’d also try No More Shall We Part. I reckon it’s a good kinda mid-point between the early/late stuff.

1 Like

Your Funeral My Trial is worth it for the ballads.
Live Seeds has great versions of the Henry’s Dream material.

Sorry, forgot about that one; I have that and like it a lot. Gonna give no more shall we… A go

Listened to this a few times now. Was initially underwhelmed, but its already growing. Girl in Amber is just incredible.

Tour announced with the Bad Seeds in Australia/NZ starting in January. Wasn’t sure whether they’d tour this album, hopefully a UK tour will follow shortly afterwards.

2 Likes

He seems pretty intent on keeping working, which I am mighty glad about. Would love to see him and Warren getting cathartic and noisy on stage.

Been slightly addicted to Rings Of Saturn from this album lately, such an alluring floating feeling to it

Anyone hear this? Slightly more spacey synths but otherwise cut from similar cloth as Skeleton Tree
https://soundcloud.com/milanrecords/nick-cave-warren-ellis-mars-theme-from-mars