10 albums that changed your teens

this album 10 times

3 Likes

No order:

Funeral For A Friend - Casually Dressed and Deep In Conversation
Million Dead - A Song To Ruin
The Blood Brothers - Burn, Piano Island, Burn!
Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview
Capdown - Civil Disbodients
Lightyear - Call Of the Weasel Clan
NOFX - Punk In Drublic
The Prodigy - The Fat Of The Land
The Matrix Soundtrack
The Offpsring - Ixnay on the Hombre

1 Like

Punk in Drublic def would make my expanded list.

1 Like
  1. Nirvana - Nevermind
  2. Blur - Leisure
  3. Cure - Disintegration
  4. MBV - Loveless
  5. Metallica - Ride The Lightning
  6. Stone Roses - s/t
  7. U2 - The Joshua Tree
  8. Boo Radleys - Everything’s Alright Forever
  9. Guns ‘N’ Roses - Appetite For Destruction
  10. Pet Shop Boys - Actually

…what a bizarre mix. I also spent quite a lot of time listening to Iron Maiden,Altern8, The Sundays, The Prodigy, Ride, Thousand Yard Stare, REM, Slowdive, Verve, Catherine Wheel, Chapterhouse and the drill ep by some indie no-hopers whose name I can’t recall…

Such a good album :heart:

HE’S GOT A TYE DYED RANCID SHIRT
HE WEARS HIS BIRKENSTOCKS TO WORK

1 Like

No problem! :wink:

1 Like

I liked when the thread became an Owen Pallett whack-off for a bit.

First of his I heard was Heartland, came out when I was 18, blew my mind and still does. Somebody said to me “you have to hear this crazy homoerotic fantasy RPG violin album” and I thought that idea sounded like an endearing mess, then I listened and it turned out to be incredible. I’m still utterly obsessed with it.

Loads of my favourite albums came out when I was 18; Kanye - MBDTF, LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening, Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me, Sufjan - The Age Of Adz, Taylor Swift - Speak Now, 65daysofstatic - We Were Exploding Anyway, Los Campesinos! - Romance Is Boring, Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life, Robyn - Body Talk, Hot Chip - One Life Stand, Crystal Castles - S/T. A vintage year for being 18 in.

Ash - 1977
Radiohead - OK Computer
Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Bjork - Homogenic
NIN - The Fragile
PJ Harvey - Stories from the city, stories from the sea
My Vitriol - Finelines
Tool - Lateralus
Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute

You’re not wrong. Had a right crush on Alicia Silverstone, which is also partly why I have The Bends on my list

1 Like

In a chronological order (from what I can remember) starting from when I was 15, when I started buying/liking music, up until 18 I think. These are all albums I listened to repeatedly. I mostly still love or am fond of them too.

1. Robert Miles - Dreamland
  2. The Divine Comedy - Casanova (then A Short Album About Love and his back catalogue)
  3. Eels - Beautiful Freak (then Electro-Shock Blues)
  4. White Town - Women In Technology
  5. Air - Moon Safari
  6. Pulp - This Is Hardcore
  7. Mercury Rev - Deserter’s Songs
  8. Babybird - There’s Something Going On
  9. dEUS - The Ideal Crash
  10. The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
2 Likes

Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Dodgy - Free Peace Sweet
Ocean Colour Scene -Moseley Shoals
Radiohead - The Bends
Boo Radleys - C’Mon Kids
Green Day - Nimrod
Nirvana - Nevermind
Rancid - Rancid
Propagandhi - Today’s Empires, Tomorrow’s Ashes
Operation Ivy - Energy

There are tons of “cooler” records I picked up in my teens, I am focussing on pre 6th form here, but these are the ones that I belted out the most and which led to bigger and better things. Nirvana opened up bloody loads, checking out Nirvana’s influences led me to the Pixies, Sonic Youth, Melvins etc. Green Day was a big watershed, before that it was just Britpop really. It got a bit dull in the late 90s, sticking on a Green Day record sounded like a breath of fresh air after something like Starsailor.

One other one was a Kerrang punk special which listed the top 50 punk albums of all time. Some were dubious, but there were some standards like Bad Brains, Minor Threat and Black Flag that I had barely even heard of. Introduced me to Refused, Discharge, Fugazi and Quicksand out of nowhere.

Tell you what, that Dodgy album has some belters on it.

Biffy Clyro - Vertigo of Bliss
Oceansize - Effloresce
Glassjaw - EYEWTKAS (though much prefer W&T now)
Deftones - White Pony
Nirvana - Nevermind
Mansun - Six
Smashing Pumpkins - Rotten Apples (yeah yeah Best Of shuddup)
System of a Down - Toxicity
Radiohead - The Bends
Hell is for Heroes - Neon Handshake

RAWK

2 Likes

Some of these lists are suspiciously cool for teenagers.

2 Likes

I was a suspiciously cool teenager

4 Likes

It was all about ‘the Holy Bible’ for me as a sixteen year old. I played that to absolute death. I wore the T shirt to my (very Catholic, run by nuns) School’s RE away-day and got in trouble. Happy days.

Apart from that , the usual:

REM - out of time
Nirvana - Nevermind
Dinosaur Jr - Where you Been
The Cure - Disintegration

etc etc etc

1. Crazy Horses
  2. The Plan
  3. Love Me For A Reason
  4. The Proud One
  5. Around the World: Live in Concert
  6. Brainstorm
  7. Greatest Hits
  8. Steppin’ Out
  9. One Way Rider
  10. The All-Time Greatest Hits (Box Set)

Would like to see these all compiled into a top 10 a la DiS Year End list

Joy Division – Unknown Pleasures
Buzzcocks – Love Bites
Mansun – Attack of the Grey Lantern
Smashing pumpkins – Melon collie
Beastie Boys – Ill Communication
Pulp – His n Hers
Green Day – Dookie
Offspring – Smash
Manic Street Preachers – Holy Bible
Idlewild – Captain

Extra spot for all of these as I can’t choose – VS/Ten/Superunknown/Purple/Dirt/Nevermind

Not a record, but I was still watching it later into my teens - honorary mention for that GnR gig which was on Channel 4 in 92 or something, when Lenny Kravitz comes out, Axl berates Warren Beaty and the whole thing goes on forever. That whole broadcast was amazing and cemented them as the best band in the world.

First couple from a big box of records I borrowed off a mates older brother – he was a teenager late 70’s/early 80’s so had lots of punk/post punk. Had a massive influence on me generally (this is all pre file sharing).

Green Day & Offspring were the wake up that punk was still happening NOW (and not restricted to the old uk punk in that ^ box) and was very exciting – massive gateway bands which I’m sure a lot of younger kids would scoff at now. Hey ho. Different times and all that.
Mansun were just a bit dark (ha!) and more interesting than 99% of the other britpop which was being shoved our way in the mid 90’s and I suppose pulp fit that also.

Beastie Boys just sounded/looked like the coolest motherfuckers in the world to a skinny white boy from the ‘burbs. (and again, gateway band for future tastes - through the mention of Bad Brains on the Some old Bullshit cd. Also, got into a load of DMC stuff and the like – Invisbl Skratch Piklz etc)

Ctrl + F - NOW!

I call bullshit

I managed to spend most of my teenage years listening to commercal rap music and Positiva-label dance, which y’know, wasn’t as bad as it might sound actually, the first of those is a relatively good gateway to better music and the latter meant i had fun and girlfriends and that.

I can specifically remember one album getting me back on track as it were, and that was Belle & Sebastien’s ‘Tigermilk’ which i probably only picked up because of the partially-exposed breasts on the cover if i’m being completely honest. This wouldn’t have been until my late teens, though. Shortly after that i got into Nick Drake, like many after hearing him on a VW advert.

Only really started appreciating the album format in my early twenties, and that didn’t last too long really, the ability media players and streaming services give you to keep what you like and bin what you don’t means i’ve never really learned to love LP’s, bar a select few favourites.