10 years since Norwegian terrorist attacks

Despite working with film I personally haven’t been up to seeing any of them so far. Watched a few episodes of the miniseries «22 July» but for me, that’s too much. For others, I think it can feel therapeutic and important in some ways to watch the films. There are a few very different types of films that have been made. Funnily enough, I really enjoyed a good-hearted, humorous bit about it in the film «Blind» by Eskil Vogt (co-writer of a certain recent Cannes winning film) where a character wears a fake bandage to be able to be part of something.

I’m normally a person who in no way shies away from seeking out dark storylines and morbid details, but I think just remembering the feeling of waking up on the 23rd to (inaccurate) news reports of 89 dead just overshadows all of it. But obviously people are very different like that, and I know a lot of people who have really appreciated and valued some of the films. They’ve also generally speaking been quite well recieved critically.

3 Likes

So, something really weird that’s happening now and has been happening for the past decade is that some (by no means all) politicians on the right, are accusing Norwegian Labour and other leftists of making it [the terrorist attack] political. Yeah, you read that right. A far-right, politically motivated terrorist bombs the Labour government offices and massacres the Labour Youth summer camp BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY REPRESENT POLITICALLY and people have the absolute gall to accuse Labour and the political left of trying to score cheap political points (general elections coming up in a few months) by “playing the victim card”. Some Conservatives, some further to the right on the spectrum. Fucking disgusting.

6 Likes

That line about ‘making things political’ makes it seem like the right have the same playbook the world over.

And worst of all it seems to be working.

2 Likes

It is the worst take at the best of times, but in this context it’s fucking criminal.

6 Likes