1000s of earthquakes & now a lava eruption 🌋 in Iceland

As above, as some of you will have seen, Iceland has been experiencing ‘tremor swarms’ over the last few weeks and a couple of ours ago a fissure opened up about 30km from Reykjavik and started erupting lava

First lava eruption in this part of Iceland for 800 years apparently

I guess there’ll be more pics and videos in the morning of the molten rock of castration valley

Fascinating stuff

14 Likes
3 Likes

Damn. Hope everyone’s safe.

2 Likes

Near the Blue Lagoon I guess?

1 Like

Seems to be fine, the place is pretty remote and it’s mostly lava, no spewing of ash, smoke or rock

2 Likes

Yeah, not too far from there

The local indie radio station here had a listener from Iceland call up. He seemed pretty calm! He lived about 25km from the lava close to Reykjavik . He said it was about 10km from Keflavik airport. Fingers crossed everyone stays safe!

1 Like

It’s a very lava-ry area from memory. Quite a few sheep knocking about too.

2 Likes

Hadn’t thought of the sheep tbh

Doesn’t look like pasture or grazing land from the clip below

Neat little clip from a few days ago

1 Like

Björk seems pleased about it. Chuffed for her.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMnpyJ6sree/?igshid=29e5llxcct5f

5 Likes

Boy, could he ever make that clarinet sing…

(with apologies to Funkhouser)

5 Likes

This dude seems to be the guy to follow on this

Or at least, he has a neat thread documenting what’s going on

Starts here —>

1 Like

I was reading about this a few weeks ago (the joy of having a five year old obsessed with volcanoes) - it’s been predicted for quite a while so I’m sure they would have moved a lot of stuff out of harms way and done a lot of planning. Apparently it’s a completely different sort of volcano to the Icelandic one about ten years ago and won’t spew out ash all across Europe and stop planes flying

5 Likes

Thought this one from this morning was pretty cool

5 Likes

Your regular reminder that geography is awesome.

5 Likes

I have the opposite issue, my 7 yo is currently petrified of lava. So I will not be discussing this event wth them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

‘Still got it’

4 Likes

#geographyweek

4 Likes

More geophysics than geography

But I’ll allow it

1 Like