9.17 | Station to Station / David Bowie
8.92 | Daydream Nation / Sonic Youth
8.63 | Maggot Brain / Funkadelic
7.60 | Psalm 69 / Ministry
7.45 | Liege and Lief / Fairport Convention
7.00 | Licensed to Ill / Beastie Boys
6.24 | The Slider / T. Rex
5.90 | Very / Pet Shop Boys

Well that’s handy as my copy of the new vinyl repressing of this album arrived yesterday so I will be giving that a spin later today then.

1 Like

EASE MYSELF INTO A BODY BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG

(10/10)

1 Like

Pretty much a perfect debut, both lyrically and musically. Astonishing that she produced it so young - although kudos to her band from back then who were astonishingly tight.

Which reminds me - given that PJ Harvey was ostensibly the name of the band for the first two albums, I remember a friend who worked in a record store suggesting that when she went solo for her third album that album should be filed under H while the first two should be under P. How we laughed!

4 Likes

1992, jeez
Love PJ but do think she developed more especially vocally after this. Some good tunes for sure though and all the atmosphere and drama you’d want/expect. Need to give it another spin.

Weirdly I think this might be the only PJ album I’ve not actually heard. I’ve never been a huge fan but have always enjoyed her stuff so I don’t know why I’ve never listened to this. Today seems the perfect opportunity to right this wrong!

1 Like

whispers you forgot the score of Pink Floyd

This is a good album with fantastic atmosphere, raw energy and I still go back to it fairly frequently. Hell of a debut but I deffo preferred the run of albums following it up until Uh Huh Her (which I dont rate very highly) But that speaks more to the sheer quality of her discog more than anything else

not hugely familiar with her work sadly but I’m listening to this one right now

I do think musically she got stronger after this album but it’s still a 10.

1 Like

Number 16 on Kurt Cobain’s top 50 list…

It’s a 10, just like the vast majority of her output. What a talent.

2 Likes

I listened to this album a lot when I first got it but not heard it in a while. Putting it on now and it’s not really grabbing me like it once did. Maybe I’m just not in the right mood for it today. It is good though. Will probably go for a 7 although it does feel a tad on the low side.

Listening to this now, I wish I could go back in time and find it fresh in 1992. I initially worked backwards TBYML through Rid Of Me/4 Track Demos to this one, and so I can’t help feel my opinion of Dry is biased by how much I like what comes after.

It’s such a great rollicking, almost relentless record though – everything’s constantly in motion and slightly off-kilter. (I don’t have the musicology knowledge to explain this properly :crazy_face: but for example, the way in Hair and Water it feels like the drums are being played on the half-beats?)

The string of vocals at the end of Oh My Lover with the final note that sounds like it’s been ripped out of the air is just <chefs kiss>

Probably going to spend the afternoon trying to decide on a score.

Has anyone got the demos lp? Can’t normally be arsed with Demos but could be tempted here

Second album of hers that I heard after getting into her after she won the Mercury for Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea, and as debuts go it’s absolutely fantastic. Packed full of raw, visceral energy, amazing lyrics and perfectly sparse arrangements. Strong Patti Smith vibe going on.

9/10

1 Like

Yeah its worth seeking out, she sounds so young.

1 Like

just played this for the first time in, ooh decades, probably. I thought it’d be badly dated, but it really isn’t. It still has this terrific feral energy to it, and it sounds great.

Why I’d never listened to this before when I’ve liked every other one of her albums I’ve no idea. But I’ve heard it now and it’s unsurprisingly great! 8/10

2 Likes

Cracking album. The only negative is the mastering sucks. Besides TBYML, which is also excellent, I never got all that excited by what I heard of her other stuff, mostly because what I heard didn’t sound anything like Dry.

Suggestions on PJH albums that are more like Dry and not at all like White Chalk?

Rid Of Me is most like it, I’d say.

3 Likes