💯🖕 1001 Albums: DiS - Day 18: Pictures at an Exhibition by Emerson Lake & Palmer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictures_at_an_Exhibition_(Emerson,Lake%26_Palmer_album)

0 voters

Best track:

• Promenade pt.1
  • The Gnome
  • Promenade pt. 2
  • The Sage
  • The Old Castle
  • Blues Variation
  • Promenade pt. 3
  • The Hut of Baba Yaga pt. 1
  • The Curse of Baba Yaga
  • The Hut of Baba Yaga pt. 2
  • The Great Gates of Kiev
  • Nutrocker

0 voters

DiS’s 1001 so far:

9.17 | Station to Station / David Bowie
8.92 | Daydream Nation / Sonic Youth
8.86 | Berlin / Lou Reed
8.63 | Maggot Brain / Funkadelic
8.59 | Dry / PJ Harvey
8.06 | Bandwagonesque / Teenage Fanclub
8.00 | Back at the Chicken Shack / Jimmy Smith
7.60 | Psalm 69 / Ministry
7.45 | Liege and Lief / Fairport Convention
7.00 | Licensed to Ill / Beastie Boys
6.50 | Eternally Yours / The Saints
6.24 | The Slider / T. Rex
6.00 | Piper at the Gates of Dawn / Pink Floyd
5.90 | Very / Pet Shop Boys
5.80 | The Adventures of Baaba Male / Djam Leelii
5.75 | California Dreamin’ / The Mamas and The Papas
-.— | Vulgar Display of Power / Pantera

I like prog rock but sheeeeesh. Tough one today.

I believe it was this lot that John Peel famously referred to as a “waste of talent and electricity”. Not wrong. One of my friends at school’s first name was Emerson because his dad was such a big fan of ELP. That love did not go down through the generations.

2 Likes

I had this come up on my 1001 generator the other week, it got quite short shrift. I like the original piece of classical music but I’d rather not have it wankily “interpreted” by this lot. I generously awarded it 1/5 then, not sure I can stretch much further for this out of ten score!

1 Like

My thoughts too. Not sure Mussorgsky needed to be noodled with for the prog-rock generation.

2 Likes

Absolutely awful. I grew up in a prog-obsessed household with a constant soundtrack rof ELP and was dragged along to see them and many side projects on numerous occasions. This has left me with an unparalleled hatred towards them. Three perma-tanned clowns using horrible squealing keyboards, cleanly produced bass and excessive drum solos combine to produce some of the worst music ever made*. They absolutely slaughter the original material on this album.

1/10

*except for Peter Gunn - banger

1 Like

Always assumed they were for crusty smelly prog boomers who hang around in model train shops

Fucking hell I’ve got some issues

I am 5 songs in…this is gonna be a slog to get through!