6.00 | Piper at the Gates of Dawn / Pink Floyd
5.90 | Very / Pet Shop Boys
5.80 | The Adventures of Baaba Male / Djam Leelii
5.75 | California Dreamin’ / The Mamas and The Papas
-.— | Vulgar Display of Power / Pantera

Ray Of Shite

(bar Frozen of course)

1 Like

Yeah, not one for me. I remember liking Beautiful Stranger, but it turns out that’s not even on this album.

Her second best album - Orbit did her good.

3 Likes

It’s really good

1 Like

Title track was written by Nirvana but not that Nirvana. I remember some thing with (maybe) Davina on where they would track down people who were due some royalties or cash but didn’t know it.

she’s got far better albums

1 Like

American Life: time for a re-evaluation? No

I agree with @roastthemonaspit - her second best record (after Like A Prayer, obvs). I don’t think she’s been anywhere near this good since this record.

2 Likes

My second favourite Madonna album. I agree with other comments that William Orbit did great on this record.

1 Like

One of those albums I’d always meant to listen to, but kept not listening to. Really enjoying it, thus far.

2 Likes

Not listened to thsis apart from the singles. Frozen is a great song but I can’t stand Ray of Light so this could go either way for me.

ANNA FRIEL
Like I just got home
ANNA FRIEL

9 Likes

This is one of those albums for me that somehow manages to be both better and less good than I remember at the same time.

One of her best produced albums, hands down. Love all the lush synths and strings with beats. A lot of it still sounds really fresh today.

There’s four solid 10/10 songs on it (Nothing Really Matters, Drowned World/Substitute, Frozen, Power of Goodbye) and the rest is good to great.

Gave it a 7/10. Some enjoyable songs but a lot that just passes me by.

Drowned World/Substitute for Love is great.

1 Like

For me this was always a William Orbit album that Madonna happened to sing on. I’d loved his Strange Cargo stuff beforehand, so this was a bit of a pleasant surprise. I listened to it loads at the time, but it’s sort of slipped away in the intervening years.

7/10, but worth a revisit today…

1 Like

Drowned world might be my second fave Madonna song (behind Borderline obvs) even if it’s super self indulgent. Really vulnerable performance at the start and crests really beautifully. A good half of this album is sterling, probably more. Solid 8. Frozen is obviously the tits as well.

1 Like

My dad got this when it came out

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Always had a theory with my mate that this was the most Dad album alongside Tina Turners Private Dancer and Heaven and Hell: The Best of Bonnie Tyler and Meatloaf (thinking of doing a thread for that record.)

1 Like

My dad would have walked past it on the way to the John Denver section

2 Likes