šŸ’ÆšŸ–• 1001 Albums: DiS - Day 3: Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth

Ha! Kimā€™s monotone vocals on JC are one of my favourite SY things ever! :grinning:

oh, JC is fine. Orange Rolls Angelā€™s Spit is so bad.

Not as good as Sister. 8.

Yeah I think itā€™s this. Also was maybe the relative breakthrough in Europe and itā€™s easy to forget you couldnā€™t just mine the back catalogue in those days.

1 Like

just listening to it again now and it does have something of a ā€˜definitive statementā€™ vibe about it. especially by the time you get to Hyperstation. even the album title feels very iconic. not my absolute favourite but itā€™s hard not to rate it close to the top.

1 Like

also it automatically gains a point for having the most Lee songs.

2 Likes

I bought this album because I recognised the album cover from The Simpsons

4 Likes

10/10. I listen to it all the time and still find new bits to enjoy. Gets better every time I hear it.

2 Likes

Too much of it, although when itā€™s good itā€™s great. Nurse is their best, I like their pop music.

2 Likes

UPDATE:

Iā€™ve never got sonic youth.

Love pixies, Dino Jr, pavement, but not sonic youth.

2 Likes

Dutifully listening to this again tho.

Teenage riot is OK. More thoughts as I get them :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry, got to track two and put Dino J on

3 Likes

Definitely a 10, so many great moments on that record. Thereā€™s so much going on, itā€™s like a different experience every time I hear it. Also contains some of their finest guitar playing. Best track for me would be Candle, with Silver Rocket a very close second (I like that they recently restored a whole bunch of their old videos).

Very good album, but definitely not their best - might scrape into the last spot on my top five after Murray Street, Sister, Rather Ripped, Goo, etc. The SY HGATR was only fairly recently and there was a lot of chat in there, which might explain why this thread is a bit quieter than the previous two.

Solid 8, it contains all their best work. The last three songs are absolutely fantastic as well, I remember actually losing my breath when I heard them for the first time. Will never listen to it again

Why not? You seemed to get a lot out of it?

Just donā€™t enjoy their style so much anymore, Iā€™d rather listen to the bands they pay homage to than themselves.

Itā€™s an album Iā€™d recommend anyone listen to but itā€™s not for me anymore

Fair enough!

Solid 10 for me, shaped by how formative it was for me as a music fan. Still get shivers listening to teenage riot and candle at excruciating volume. Itā€™s overlong but itā€™s undeniable in its sound and has a depth to it that some other sy records lack imo. Easily my face sy album and in my top 20 overall.

2 Likes