8.92 | Daydream Nation / Sonic Youth
8.63 | Maggot Brain / Funkadelic
7.60 | KE A H** (Psalm 69) / Ministry
7.45 | L* iege and Lief / Fairport Convention
7.00 | Licensed to Ill / Beastie Boys
6.24 | The Slider / T. Rex
5.90 | Very / Pet Shop Boys

1 Like

Tempted to go in hard with a 1 for Bike alone but I’m going to take a deep breath and go back and listen to the whole album to reacquaint myself with it before voting.

Really like the At The Drive-In cover of Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk.

Feels like proto The Mars Volta

1 Like

Deffo the first album I’m not tempted to revisit today :slight_smile: keep this up, I love it. (The thread format not the album)

4/10

3 Likes

Not a Pink Floyd fan but this is decent. Haven’t heard it in a while, might revisit.

I don’t think Bike is part of this album proper is it? It may have been included on a re-issue but is not part of the original release.

And now I hate myself.

EDIT : in a SHOCKING development. It turns out I am wrong

1 Like

This was quite the rollercoaster ride.

2 Likes

the good news is that I’VE GOT A BIKE AND YOU CAN RIDE IT IF YOU LIKE.

I was sure that this song was only on the “odds and sods” album “Relics”.

Not their best, and because Syd’s still there it’s a all a bit Ooh Clarence the magic sparrow has lost his map to Evelon let’s go down the hoooooole, jam and tea, yum etc. Few good tracks though.

11 Likes

A perfect description. Although I’d probably go lower than 6.

Only heard a couple of tracks and on that basis really can’t be bothered to listen to the rest of it tbh.

The riff in Interstellar Overdrive is the best thing about this album. I like and enjoy some Pink Floyd albums but unfortunately this isn’t really one of them. It’s just a 3 from me.

Flock off you bunch of miserybull badtarts, it’s a nailed on whimsy filled 10.

Yeeeessss?

3 Likes

I remember checking this out years ago as I never got on with Pink Floyd’s later work, read all about Syd, so was hoping for something a bit crazier. More Captain Beefheart than wanky Dad rock. I was disappointed, I suspect I will be today.

Always enjoyed a bit of the Floyd but have never actually listened to this one. Probably because it wasn’t one that my dad owned.

Anyway, have given it a blast this afternoon and my god, other than Interstellar Overdrive, it’s painfully annoying. Especially “The Gnome”. Always wondered why Syd Barrett was held up as this “mad genius”, after hearing this I’m even more baffled. It’s really far too whimsical for my tastes. When Bowie’s early, vaudeville works are considered a bit of a joke, I do not understand why this isn’t regarded the same way.

3/10

1 Like

This is going to be one of those ‘Disappointed in DiS’ days, isn’t it.

1 Like

I have a lot of time for this album and for Pink Floyd overall. Was massively into them at school - at least until I started reading the NME and the Strokes came around.

It’s a good, not great album - I have it an 8.

But some of the non-album tracks collected on Relics are probably better.

Not a Floyd album I was familiar with before today and seems a solid album but definitely not great. Get’s a little too:

for my liking in places but going to struggle to give this anything more than a 5 based on what we have heard so far.

1 Like

I’ve always struggled with this album as a whole despite it having some great moments.

Those first couple of Floyd singles plus ‘The Madcap Laughs’ are better showcases of Syd’s talent imo.

Madcap Laughs wasn’t at all like I thought it would be when I listened to it. Just assumed it would be like PF.

I think I only gave it 3 listens and it was a while ago but I sort of bookmarked it to return to at some point. I seem to remember it ran out of steam a bit but a big chunk of it was a pleasant surprise.

as fractured and fucked as the album is the tunes themselves are magic, beautiful melodies. definitely an album for when the long nights are drawing in.

I rarely listen to it but when I’m in a certain mood no other record but that will do it for me.

1 Like