2016 albums you discovered too late for your AOTY lists

Only very recently listened to Mitski’s Puberty 2. Really like it after only 3 listens. Reckon it would have ended up making may top 5 for the year if I’d heard it when it came out.

I LIKE TRAINS - A Divorce before Marriage

Brilliant album, nice slice of post-rock (or whatever you wanna call it)

Also been enjoying Chance the Rappers Coloring Book

Quite a few, annoyingly. The ones that I can remember off the top of my head are:

The Loscil album.

Breadwoman & Other Tales

Rihanna - anti
Lambchop - flotus

In all honesty I wouldn’t put Anti on the list, but Mitski would go on for sure. I didn’t give it a lot of time last year but keep going back to it now

kraus- end tomorrow. outrageous album

Childish Gambino. Ace funk.

I only listened to the ILT album for the first time last weekend. Reminded me heavily of Explosions In The Sky in places.

Moor Mother - Fetish Bones, seriously great

Yeah the opening track and ‘X’ in articular wouldn’t be out of place on an EITS record (probably why I like it so much)

They’ll never top Progress Reform though, such a great album, can’t believe it’s ten years old!

It got a 9/10 review on DiS at the time; http://drownedinsound.com/releases/7567/reviews/935205-

Probably “If You See Me, Say Yes” by Flock of Dimes. Jenn Wasner is great.

RTJ3 - but I can be forgiven for that given the timing

But I’m also REALLY enjoying Loscil, Huerco S and Shackleton which I only got round to after seeing them in various AOTY lists

From Caplan To Belsize by Muncie Girls is pretty much all i’ve been listening to for the past fortnight

Emo revival thread for the new boards

The Pop Group - Honeymoon on Mars, listen to it, it’s incredible

Absolutely loads…

Pinegrove
Field Mouse
Whores
Mannequin Pussy
Crying
The Radio Dept.
Amber Arcades
Astronoid

Have fallen hard for Pinegrove. Just lovely songwriting and the kid’s voice is perfect. High hopes for their future.

I will.

The Men - Devil Music

So much my kind of thing I’m annoyed I discovered it too late, trash-garage-noise-punk whatever you want to call it. Rules hard.

Future Echoes by Pictish Trail.

Not sure it would have broken into my top 5 even if I’d heard it earlier, but still an enjoyable album.