2016's Best Album of the Year (so far)

I kept on hearing about this band, but on a listen some of the stuff just sounded like standard trip-hop which has been done to death. I might give it another go though.

Apart from Lamb (who I’m a massive fan of), The XX and a few other bands from a similar genre, I’ve haven’t listened to a lot of trip hop. When this came out in March, I listened to it non-stop for two weeks, bought the CD, took a break and then listened it to a lot since then. I love how the vocalists and music combine, the lyrical themes and the late night vibe.

Yeah, I think I overdid it in the mid 90s onwards when MoWax/Portihead/Wall of Sound were all massive and there was just so much around that I listened to.

Lamb are the best. Always surprised they don’t get more love compared with Portishead and Massive Attack.

I actually prefer them in some ways. I have their first singles as a collection of 12s and some white labels that I cherish. I think they sound different enough for me to not have lumped them in with the rest in my head.

1 Like

Out of those 3 I’ve only heard Portishead, who’ve done some very good downbeat tunes.

I definitely prefer Lamb to Portishead and Massive Attack. Backspace Unwind is their best from start-to-finish though What Sound? has my favourite tunes on it.

Completely off-topic for 2016 AOTY, but my preference is:
Lamb > 5 > Fear of Fours > What Sound > Backspace Unwind > Between Darkness and Wonder
The Remixed albums is stellar as well.

1. Car Seat Headrest
  2. Radiohead
  3. Diiv
  4. Bowie
  5. Hammock

Add your top 5s to our reader poll

finding it really hard to do a top 5, another year with loads of good albums but no major standouts

You know what. I keep coming back to Beyonce lemonade to listen to. I don’t like a lot of the over the top hype surrounding it. But by the metric ‘number of times listening’ it is up there.

Yes, we’re a bit off topic but I love Lamb so it’s good to share my thoughts about them with someone who loves them too.

Albums from favourite to least favourite (revised): What Sound? > Live at Koko > Backspace Rewind > Live at Paradiso > 5 > Fear Of Fours > Lamb > Between Darkness & Wonder

Hard to pick favourite songs but Gabriel, Gorecki, Heaven, Lullaby and What Sound? are a few.

1 Like

could be basically any 5 from:

big thief
field music
anderson paak
helado negro
lambchop
KING
kanye west
corinne bailey rae
tanya tagaq
adrian younge
sound of ceres
josephine foster
mitski
higher authorities
a tribe called quest
[/details]

[/details] probably edging it for me though

I hope field music get some recognition for how damn good commontime is

One of the most consistent bands out there! Every Brewis brother’s release is essential in my books.

I was dead chuffed when Prince tweeted about them!

My top 5, and runners up.

1. Animal Collective – Painting With

2. Steve Gunn – Eyes on the Lines

3. Floor Plan – Victorious

4. Preoccupations – Preoccupations

5. Spring King – Tell Me if you like to

6. Yeasayer – Amen and Goodbye

7. Maxwell – Black Summers Night

8. Andy Shauf – The Party

9. Japanese Breakfast – Psychopomp

10. Junior Boys – Big Black Coat

11. Destroyer – Poison Season