2016's Best Album of the Year (so far)

Can someone do a spreadsheet so I don’t have to scroll through the whole thing, please?

1 Like

Enjoying Freetown Sound by Blood Orange right now.

2 Likes

ctrl + f adrian younge nope even i forgot to mention him, loving something about april 2 though

I need to give this a second chance. I didn’t initially find it very engaging…

I didn’t think I was going to like Jenny Hval for some reason, but I checked out Blood Bitch a couple of weeks ago, and wow. I can’t stop listening. Definite shoe in for my AOTY.

y’know what, fucking love Something About April. would even go as far as to say it’s one of my favourite albums of the decade. haven’t even heard the sequel though. will put that right.

Radiohead, Bon Iver and kvelertak are fighting this one out to the death. Though I haven’t listened to loads of stuff I’ve meant to yet.

This is new to me but one of my faves this year.

1 Like

Well said about Painting With - possibly my favourite album of the year.

1 Like

It’s Noname dummies

1 Like

agree with your compitelly, love them

LOVE that record.

it’s probably my least favourite veils album
not spent as long with it as the others, but there’s not been a single track that leaps out at me like there normally is

still ace live & am sure will grow on me, but it’s not AOTY material for me

Really enjoying G.L.O.S.S - Trans Day of Revenge. Some of the best new straight-up hardcore I’ve heard for a while. It is only about 6 minutes long though, and appears they have split up which is a shame.

Records that I’ve enjoyed and I can remember at this point in time

Noname - Telefone
Ravyn Lenae - Moon Shoes
Big Thief - Masterpiece
Margaret Glaspy - Emotions & Math
Corrie Dick - Impossible Things
into it over it - Standards
Anna Meredith - Varmints
Xenia Rubinos - Black Cherry Cat
Aesop Rock - Impossible Kid
You Blew It - the new one (whatever it’s called)
Tiny Moving Parts - Celebrate

1 Like

I think it’s been an incredible year for music! Some great releases. Usually compile a top 25 for advent on Twitter, and I’ve found it much more difficult than previous years.

Late contender being Dedekind Cut - $uccessor

Trying to whittle down to 25 from about 40 really strong releases!

@kaleidocomic

Same, I usually find having a top 20 pretty easy, but this year there are way more releases I’m into. Will be interesting to see how I feel about them all in a year or so.

xenia rubenios album is great, agreed

1 Like

Picked up an early copy of Adam Betts’ solo album, Colossal Squid, at a TTT gig this month. And it’s been soundtracking lots of my life ever since. Cracking tunes and lots of drum craziness.

I want to like this on the title alone. Makes me want to check it out anyway.