2017 Album of the year (discussion thread)

Heh, been through it a few times on bandcamp - ordered it (not from them, from a seller) end of November and it still hasn’t turned up :expressionless:

From what I have heard, it was decent (Dying Giants especially) I preferred it over Heirs and All Hail. Still not a patch on Gangs though. That is their magnificent octopus.

Never heard of Single Mothers before just checked out a few of their songs and like what I’ve heard,I think I will buy the new album. Thank you for introducing me to another good band.

2 Likes

No probs! They’re pretty great, and it’s a great album to shout along to if you’re pissed off. Love the vocalist’s constant stream of consciousness style singing.

DIGGING IN MY POCKETS

Loved Negative Qualities but haven’t really listened to this one yet, will put that right.

1 Like

aye return to form definitely, though even so i haven’t gone back to it all that much for whatever reason. seeing them this weekend for the first time since the Heirs tour, imagine the new stuff should sound pretty good live.

i reckon the debut is better than Gangs though tbh. fight me.

1 Like

This album is stunning!

1 Like

Genuinely think Protomartyr are a strong contender here lads, good work

2 Likes

Right done mine now - it’s basically the 3 I said up thread and the John and Mutoid Man albums. Weird year I think, not really listened to music properly much though, which has been…weird. Eh.

Anyway, more people should listen to the John album, God Speed In The National Limit, it’s 7 tracks in under 20 minutes and it’s cracking good fun.

This has been an absolutely stonking year for albums made by women whose first name starts with a J.

7 Likes

Given that we both had the same top 2 (albeit flipped) it was meant to be a joke. Nevermind.

Coming to the conclusion Four Tet may have been in contention if released earlier in the year and the LCD record is actually rather good. Despite loving them, I was put off by the rubbish cover for months - and even that looks better in the flesh than jpeg form.

This Is The Kit and Do Make Say Think are other ones I agonised over, but just missed out of my top 5.

My point exactly :smiley:

2 Likes

In the spirit of making @Prob500 's tallying easier I’m going to refrain from asking for a change in the poll thread and just slap my amendments in here

1. Nadine Shah - Holiday Destination
2. Converge - The Dusk In Us
3. Kelly Lee Owens - Kelly Lee Owens
4. Susanne Sundfør - Music For People In Trouble
5. Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson
5. EMA - Exile In The Outer Ring*

Been absolutely blown away by Nadine Shah in the past few days!

*I’m having a joint 5th; this aint the official thread I can do what I want!

Shocking that none of these changes have included Priests. Such a great album that just gets better and better with time

1 Like

IT was already in my top 5 pal :wink:

1 Like

Good for you m7. So many amazing albums this year! I’m so befuddled

1 Like

How long is the poll going to remain open?

Still not sure how to narrow it down. I’ve actually gone in the wrong direction and now have eight great albums fighting for five spots.

1 Like

Know what you mean. Couple of late discoveries made it even more complicated. 1 and 2 are sorted, but have 8 or more fighting for the last 3 spots. Think I’ve more or less settled on 3 and 4, and 5 may come down to a coin toss.

First time in years where I’ve felt like I can fill a top 10 without feeling like I’m including albums for the sake of making up numbers.

1. Los Campesinos! — Sick Scenes
  2. LCD Soundsystem — American Dream

=3. Fazerdaze — Morningside
Wolf Alice — Visions of a Life

=5 EMA — Exile in the Outer Ring
Madonnatron — Madonnatron

=7 Charly Bliss — Guppy
Furniteur — Perfect Lavender
Mermaidens — Perfect Body
Underground Lovers — Staring at You Staring at Me

HMs: Cloud Nothings — Life Without Sound; Wolf Parade — Cry Cry Cry; Goldfrapp — Silver Eye

1 Like

I’ll be back at the start of the new year, so plenty of time to work it out. Probabaly close it down on the 3rd Jan.

1 Like

Yeah, this ended up being a very deep year, and I’m still finding more. I’m 99.9% certain I have Protomartyr and Priests locked in at #1 and #2, but after that I have to somehow fit The National, Phoebe Bridgers, Mogwai, Meat Wave, Strange Ranger, and Billy Corgan into 3 spots for this exercise. I’ll try to group everything like you did and write something up, it’ll be a good distraction. As of now I think there are 15 or so classics, and then another 10 or so that are also good or at the very least worthwhile. And then four great EPs too.

My top 10 EPs:
10. ZHU - stardustexhalemarrakechdreams
9. Display Homes - s/t
8. The Blaze - Territory
7. Loreen - Nude
6. Publique - Outlying Self
5. Figmennt - EP
4. Scuba Death - The Worm at the Core
3. Lød - Folder
2. SNOW CULTURE - EP1

1. Mr. Tophat feat. Robyn - Trust Me