2017 Rolling Hip-Hop Thread

The new Vince Staples is on Spotify etc. Halfway through and absolutely loving it having not been too excited about the singles. Had forgotten how great he is at setting a tone/mood over a project. Gonna be spinning this all year for sure.

6 Likes

Not really feeling it myself, first track seemed quite interesting in a garagey type of way but found a lot of the rest of it a bit too samey. Great Kendrick verse though.

Enjoying Vince. Agree good Kendrick verse but did instinctively roll my eyes when his guest spot cropped up. Man is everywhere.

Oh man Kendrick going in over a Sophie beat is so good

2 Likes

So far loving this album, not gonna lie.

2 Likes

was really not expecting it to start with a 2step beat… Justin Vernon credited as a producer on it… SOPHIE & Jimmy Edgar turning up in a bit… wtf is this album!

:anguished:

it’s a collab with Flume of all people. it fucking bangs though.

1 Like

nas doing ‘one mic’ with jack white and others at 1 hour 37 minutes 40 seconds, nas covers Memphis jug band earlier in the movie, too. excellent series…

i’m just listening to all the 30 second clips of the Jay Z album and it sounds boring, what a surprise

Can’t remember the last new Jay-Z album I sat through… Must have been Blueprint.

Actually, this is quite good, and I’m not a huge fan of anything Jay-Z’s done aside maybe Reasonable Doubt.

not listened to it yet but it’s already been quite a good year for old man rap. devin, raekwon, & snoop all released surprisingly good albums

1 Like

Yeah, it has. Plus Roc Marciano, the two Shabazz Palaces albums (well, only heard one)…

1 Like

shiiiiiit, totally forgot about that roc marci album. my backlog is getting out of hand

Hmm - didn’t realise No ID had produced the whole thing. I love a short, one rapper, one producer rap album.

had v low expectations but i am really liking this. this is a good groove for him, no trend hopping. No ID managed to make it sound modern but still classic bap. his flow obv isnt classic jay flow (he cant get that) but he sounds good and doesn’t embarrass himself.

1 Like

Yeah, it feels really considered and not at all bloated. I wish more rappers would do albums like this, although I could do with the soul baring about him and Beyonce. Zero interest, bruv.

Really like Story of O.J. and Caught Their Eyes.