2017 Rolling Hip-Hop Thread

Game Theory might be my favourite The Roots album. Definitely the one I go back to most

1 Like

Think I prefer Game Theory, Rising Down and Undun to Phrenology tbh (although Undun is one of those departures from hip hop that’s probably divisive). Things Fall Apart is my absolute fave of theirs though. Holds up amazingly throughout.

1 Like

Ok. I’m gonna have a Roots weekend I reckon.

1 Like

Yeah, Things Fall Apart is the one I always seem to play. So good. That and Illadelph Halflife.

1 Like

I go back to Organix a lot as well actually.

no love for Do You Want More??!?!??? (not looking up if that punctuation is accurate)

shows the depth of their back catalogue that there are so many worthy albums

1 Like

Just to say in this wee subthread as well that Questlove’s autobiography is really fucking good for anyone who loves any kind of music. Dude is a fountain of knowledge and enthusiasm.

1 Like

Just allowed myself to get caught up in it all and ordered this:

https://shop.okayplayer.com/products/double-trouble-featuring-questlove-black-thought-silkscreen-print

:smiley:

2 Likes

ha! nice one.i havent bought hip hop art since this madvillany print like ten years ago (last one on this page)

reminds me i still want to get the ice cube one

1 Like

DYWM was my fav for a long time. the one with the bagpipe and the one with the organs were my favs, I remain calm and do you want more.

Silent treatment is a helluva ride too.

Guy I met a while ago makes these…

Last bit of hip hop art I bought was this…

Wish I’d doubled up as it’s quite tatty now.

2 Likes

nice a lot of those were used in a recent complex feature

vibe, love Harry Fraud

absolutely filthy bass tone on that

1 Like

RIP Combat Jack!

1 Like

Fuck! Seriously!?

Was he in ill health or something?

https://twitter.com/MassAppeal/status/943505958646542336

Cancer apparently. I had no idea. Horrible news.

skipped the Quality Control album so admittedly just heard this off Pitchfork but that Pharrell beat is a beaut and this is a great match

1 Like