2018 AOTY - Soundtracks discussion

What have been your favourite soundtracks released in 2018?
Film, TV, computer games, theatre, dance…anything else that can be soundtracked?
New releases, re-issues, first issues for old films?

Here’s mine fwiw.

Films:
Ladybird. Ignore the songs in the movie the score by Jon Brion is ace, his best since Punch Drunk Love imo.

Kin - Mogwai. Only just got round to listening to this, know nothing about the film. Great music though.

Re-issues
The Conversation. First time on vinyl for one of my all time favourite soundtracks. By David Shire.

Indio Black by Bruno Nicolai. First ever release for spaghetti western by the guy who did the whistling for Ennio. Sometimes these sort of soundtracks have a great maIn theme but not much else but this whole album is ace.

TV
Black mirror, black museum by Cristobal Tapia De Veer. By the guy who did the music for Utopia.

Les Shadoks - experimental electronica to out there 60s French animated series.

Oh and a couple of arty things:
Abstractions by Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith which is apparently a soundtrack to a Harry Smith art installation

Zin Taylor’s Thoughts Of A Dot As It Travels A Surface - CV & JAB. Soundtrack to a painting!

Haven’t been able to go the cinema much at all in the last year so think I must have missed loads of great stuff.

Was Graham Coxon’s End Of The Fucking World this year? Really liked that.

Top 5 in no particular order:
(oh ok, alphabetical)

Annihilation by Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow
Blade Runner 2049 by Hans Zimmer & Benjamin Wallfisch
Kin by Mogwai
Mandy by Jóhann Jóhannsson
Suspiria by Thom Yorke

Haven’t actually seen Kin but I’m basically a Mogwai completionist so I wasn’t going to skip it, and their score work is quite often some of their best.

1 Like

Strangely haven’t listened to many OSTs this year, but these three are great:

Annihilation - Geoff Barrow & Ben Salisbury
Maniac (Netflix show) - Dan Romer
We the Animals - Nick Zammuto

Only two standouts for me this year:

Jonny Greenwood - You Were Never Really Here
Nicholas Britell - If Beale Street Could Talk

The closing song on this one is so good.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s great, I think I’m basically pro Mogwai with vocals if they limit it to one track per album.

2 Likes

Suspiria and Killing Eve.

It could do with some editing, but suspiria is probably my favourite thing by any of the Radioheads in a good decade or so.

Killing Eve is a weird one. Unloved shoved all of the individual tracks online, but not as an album. Whatever… It’s all good.

1 Like

Was going to wait until seeing the film before deciding whether to bother with Suspiria but decided to give it a listen and I’m glad I did - great stuff. Volk an initial highlight for me.

1 Like