2018 April Film DiScussion Thread

Then making decreasingly watchable versions of exactly the same film since

I really like Fantastic Mr Fox/Moonrise Kingdom/The Grand Budapest Hotel - and the latter was a big hit, so not surprising studios are happy to keep hiring him.

will probably watch isle of dogs on popcorn time next time i’m hungover but not that arsed
fantastic mr fox was v pretty but still didn’t really like it, feels like his style is completely not conducive to what makes animated films great

You Were Never Really Here really well made and looks great. do feel it could’ve done with being bit longer to make it a bit more fleshed out but still good

1 Like

His films are so staged and mannered that they start to go into territory often covered by animation - the control a director can exert over every single detail and prop, beyond what we usually see in live-action films. So it feels redundant when he does animation, as the things that are quirky or unique about an Anderson film can be pretty standard and uninteresting when animated.

Also there’s such a particular way that his characters perform their dialogue, which is also lost in animation. Would be like if Tarantino or Sorkin did animation, it’s a medium that de-emphasises one of the key reasons why people want to see films by these directors.

(Couldn’t work out how to write this without the massive over-use of “animation”, sorry guys)

2 Likes

Here To Be Heard - The Story of The Slits had an awesome collection of archive footage of the band and I’m glad that it was made (as to Ari’s wishes) because they’re an important band who deserve more recognition but sadly didn’t think that this was most well put together or engaging of doc’s.

Marathon session in the last two days:

Thoroughbreds - I don’t feel they quite pulled it off, but it’s impressive for a debut. I felt the script sometimes nosedived in to parody but it didn’t matter that much because Anya Taylor Joy and Olivia Cooke were very watchable as was your man Paul Sparks AKA Mickey Doyle and it chugged along at a decent pace. Will keep an eye out for his next film.

A Quiet Place - Made the mistake of seeing this at a late showing at my local multiplex and the audience was terrible. More like a loud place amirite! Regardless it got quiet enough about halfway through when people finished their snacks and others were told to shut the fuck up. I was so tense the entire second half onwards, pretty much from the first sighting of the nail. Mostly I was worried that they would end up smothering the baby! Thank fuck that didn’t happen. Very good film and looking forward to what Krasinski does next.

Isle of Dogs - Not much to say on this which hasn’t already been covered here . Animation, design and score were beautiful but was found the story flat and had no interest in the characters, human or canine. Agree with everyone that the Greta Gerwig character was a misstep. Still love Wes tho.

Rampage - Wasn’t as good/terrible as San Andreas and isn’t quite up there with the best of the recent giant monster films (Kong: Skull Island still has the lead by miles) but it was enjoyable enough. The definition of a film you’d only see with an unlimited cinema card.

Going to try see 120 BPM or Love Simon this weekend.

Folks…I’ve just seen A Quiet Place and I have some questions!!

Where does all the water suddenly come from that floods the room that the baby is in? And how does it stop…never even mentioned

How did the kids not sink in the grain store when they were both hanging on to the metal panel. It wasn’t spreading the load the way they were holding it

Have you ever seen a baby being born so quick?

1 Like

1. I thought it might be a broken water tank, but it definitely wasn’t very clear.

2. The panel was still supporting them but I definitely agree they pushed it a few seconds longer than was acceptable given the speed they’d been sinking at a minute earlier.

3. It is her 4th kid!

2 Likes

Saw Thirst the other night and it was so good. Had to watch in two parts because of the length of it but some of the shots were incredible. I really enjoy Park Chan-Wook’s odd sense of humour.

It also reminded me how the hell have I still not seen Oldboy?

That totally passed me by - gonna have to check it out now! Oldboy’s more on the gruelling end of his filmography so if you prefer the oddball stuff I can totally understand why you wouldn’t gravitate towards it so much.

if you’re squeamish about things involving animals, be warned that Oldboy has a scene you will not like

Not watched it in a million years but Loves of a Blonde is so good. I think Amadeus was one of the first dvds I got. I should watch LOAB again

Had a sincere film day today. This Corner of the World this morning and just went to see Love, Simon. Both lovely and earnest and life-affirming. Feel like less of a cynical fuck (for a day at least)!

a quiet place was decent.

worst bit was the nail on the steps jfc

Saw the 4k restoration of A Fistful of Dollars at the cinema today.

tumblr_oq5ktciuyV1wp6osho1_500

7 Likes

Watched alien: covenant the other day. It was ok, better than Prometheus. Just a big dumb action film really. Getting kind of bored of goody goody slightly sinsiter robots turning out to be calculating psychopaths though.

If the robot has an english accent then it’s 100% certain it’s actually an evil robot.

1 Like