2018 April Film DiScussion Thread

just saw tomb raider. it actually wasn’t terrible.

the guy didn’t shout OPEN THE TOMB like he does in the trailer though :frowning:

One of my favourites, might watch it again later today. What stuff about it do you think didn’t work? Interested to hear your opinion

Came out at the very end of March but want give a quick shout for Journeyman.

Great film directed by/starring Paddy Considine. I fucking loved Paddy Considine around Dead Man’s Shoes and all the other great stuff he did around 10 years ago. It sounds like he’s had a lot of stuff going on but I think it’s a bit of a shame he’s not had more big acting roles.

So it’s really satisfying seeing him do some of his best here. A film about boxing that actually isn’t about that - but the difficulties of recovering from a major brain injury and the strain his lowered movement/cognition puts on those around him, notably his wife Jodie Whitaker, who is also great.

Like his previous effort Tyrannosaur, this has moments of being absolutely brutal on the emotions. There are sudden bursts of horror and a scene with the-saddest-phonecall-of-all-time is one of the best things I’ve seen this year.

It wraps up a bit too neatly by the end and you could argue that it’s not that unique of a story or in the direction, but it’s all round solid and very easy to recommend if you want a tough hour and a half! Hopefully it makes its way to streaming services because I think it’ll be highly appreciated by the people who watch it.

Also, this:

5 Likes

We watched Dog Day Afternoon last night. It’s still brilliant.

I can certainly recommend Thoroughbreds from this month’s releases. I’ll try and dig out my thoughts on it.

EDIT: here we are:

1 Like

Just gets too zany for its own good. The central story is good but a lot of the other strands are just too bizarre. Putting the grandma to rest and the bike chase and shootout with the cops are the worst bits. I really dont like the fourth wall breaking stuff with isabelle adjani either.

1 Like

Nearly all of them go up on their YouTube page a couple of hours after the show airs, if that’s what you’re after. Though that’s obviously videos rather than written if that makes a difference.

If I find long films a push at the best of times, how will I handle The Square? Just clocked that it’s two and a half hours.

Also is it actually funny, or is it Force Majuere funny? I liked Force Majeure but genuinely thought anyone who found that to be a funny film must be deeply pretentious.

His written reviews for the observer are more or less the same

About to start watching the new Blade Runner. Been saving it for ages. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

I know these threads are for new films, but i watched the Spooks: The Greater Good last night. Fucking horrendous.

How’s the new thread format aided in you going to the cinema more often, chief?

I liked Force Majeur more as a film overall but The Square was more laugh out loud funny. There’s one particular scene in the middle that had me nearly crying and the whole cinema was reacting roughly the same. It’s obviously not joke-punchline style humour, but it’s pretty damn direct for an arty Swedish film!

Also a very brisk 2.5 hours, didn’t feel the length much at all.

Watched Bushwick. Its quite good in an 80s style b movie type fashion

Also saw Bernie which was shit

1 Like

My pals put on a screening of Paris is Burning last night and it was very interesting.

Enjoyed Isle of Dogs.

Cinema full of very young children, who may have been expecting something different to what they got.

Is The Descent any good?

it’s decent

it’s not

1 Like

it’s very good but I think it loses it’s way when …something happens

worth a watch though

1 Like

Had a lazy day so also watched The Third Murder
It was quite good but too long and lost a bit of interest

Now halfway through the Addiction

Ready Player One

2 plops out of five.
Was okay for about 45 minutes and then I wanted it to end very quickly. Also still gagging from all the sickly sweet schmaltz Spielberg was shovelling down my throat for the last ten minutes of the film. Fucking heck.

Don’t bother (unless you’re 11-15 and grew up in the 80s).

1 Like