2018 April Film DiScussion Thread

Would someone who doesn’t like horror or very scary films but does like post-apocalyptic films like a Quiet Place?

It’s definitely more of a horror than a post-apocalyptic thing, there’s jump scares and the whole thing is nearly all an exercise in tension building. I’m not a big horror guy either though and I really liked it.

1 Like

Damn Blockers is one of the funniest comedies I’ve seen in ages. Did not expect it to have such a progressive message and six sweet and likeable central characters.

Think the marketing was really poor. The name is terrible, the poster is completely indistinct and the trailers show much more of the parents than the girls, who are all really great. Honestly just ‘Prom’ would have been a better title.

3 Likes

Also, there are two really excruciating bits in the trailer that aren’t even in the final film which is dead weird.

Finally broke a very long run of sitting through any old shit until the bitter end by turning Furious 7 off with an hour left on Friday. Reckon if Paul Walker hadn’t died that film would have got an absolute shellacking from critics.

I thought it was pretty good how the film almost immediately undercut my expectations - when Ike Barinholtz’s character is telling the other parents to not freak out, you expect he’ll start freaking out once he realises his daughter is gay, and then he casually mentions he already knows

On a side note, Gideon Adlon who plays Sam really is a dead ringer for her mother (Pamela Adlon, who is in Louie)

2 Likes

watched The Wave (the Norweigan tsunami one)

really quite good, does a good job of showing the tension of the aftermath and investing you in the characters

watched the Exorcist last night. Pretty amazing film that, isn’t it? One of those films which reminds you what legit horror is about and how far the genre has gone away from that.

when first getting into films proper, it was horror like that, The Shining, The Omen, Wicker Man that sold it to me

would quite like to see The Omen again to see how it holds up actually

i watched it fairly recently. the bit with the babysitter(?) still shit me right up.

finally watched God’s Own Country :+1:
loved it unsurprisingly.
feel like i understand farmers better now

4 Likes

100% agree. Have seen it twice now & definitely my favourite film from last year

Yeah The Omen still holds up IMO, mainly because everyone goes at it like they’re doing Hamlet. The use of relatively ordinary locations for the big scenes (a roadside cafe, a park bench, a kids’ party, an empty church) and grey drab weather helps make it all seem terribly real.

And the yeah the stuff with the nanny is still incredibly unsettling.

Supposedly David Warner and Greg Peck got on like a house on fire which gladdens my heart

the head coming off with the shard of glass sticks out for me, bet it looks a bit cheap now but it made me turn away as a kid

1 Like

Watched Florida project, really enjoyed it. Reminded me a lot of American honey in the sense it was following the trodden on underclasses in the land of the free, or something.

Also watched the new Spiderman which was alright.

2 Likes

this and a few other things really reminded me of Final Destination tbh

it’s good overall still though

it also reminded me of American Honey but shh don’t let Tone hear

1 Like

He’s not the boss of me

2 Likes

yaaaaas SCRAP

It’s the great film that American Honey thought it was

3 Likes