2018 February Film DiScussion Thread

I watched Day For Night which I didnt really get . dont really get on board with the older French films tbh

Wind Chill which was decent enough if ran a little thin

And Mr Holmes on iplayer. Passed the time for a Sunday

I havenā€™t seen many films with a cast that packed with recognisable faces.

Hanks and Streep! Saul and Tobias! Jared and Landry! Josh and Annie! Was honestly distracting but in the most fun way.

1 Like

Caddyshack is really not a very funny film.

2 Likes
2 Likes

So excited for this. Easily the best action franchise.

Cloverfield prequel on Netflix in a few hours

Wait thatā€™s crazy, why no cinema release? Between this and Annihilation there are some really surprising Netflix releases latelyā€¦

Early reviews seem to suggest it is very very bad.

Where are you seeing those? I am avoiding spoilers so donā€™t wanna go on twitter etc

10 Cloverfield Lane was really dull

The baby looks like Hitchcock.

(Also Hanks below him and Christoph Waltz to the right?)

all correct!

1 Like

Just on Twitter mainly.

Do you reckon theyā€™ll put Chris Pratt in the new Indiana Jones? They shouldnā€™t and he should be someone smaller and less comedy but he sounds just like Indiana Jones at one point in the new Jurassic Park trailer.

Really liked it until it went all Cloverfield.

1 Like

Cloverfield Paradox wasnt my favourite Black Mirror of the series

So this was a lot of fun. Just some general thoughts because Iā€™m not really one for talking about films beyond a basic level.

Henry was super grubby. Neck snapping always makes me super super uncomfortable and this had it in spades. Michael Rooker seems to be one of those people who has just never looked young, huh?

American Werewolf - imagine a nurse living in a flat like that now. Lol London. This was great fun, though - the creature effects were cool and used sparingly enough and shot in such a way that they didnā€™t end up looking cheap. Loved that his mate was more decayed each time he appeared.

Troll 2 at 5am was a bit much. I think I had a little nap because thereā€™s a huge bit in the middle missing.

The mystery film was this 80s gene splicing / body horror thing called The Kindred. It was fun. Great puppets and make-up. One woman turned into a fish monster in a very cool sequence.

Sorority Row was a pretty standard slasher but had some cool cinematic chops. The guy running it said the director had worked under Brian de Palma, so I guess it was from that?

Good lord did I feel awful by the end. I slept for a few hours beforehand but it was nytol-assisted and thatā€™s generally never great quality sleep. The cinema was selling cheap filter coffee all night, which I guess helped, but the aches had really set in by about 4am. Was impressed by how many were left at the end - it was probably about half, which is more than at others Iā€™ve been to. The guys next to me were really drunk, one of them fell asleep in the second film, the other just kept talking at me but it was all basically nonsense. Felt awful yesterday and had to spend five hours on a train back to London.

8/10 night. Donā€™t want to repeat it in a hurry.

Just come out of Phantom Thread - itā€™s great! Donā€™t think it quite reaches the highs of The Master and Inherent Vice but more consistent throughout. I thought there were similar themes to The Master (co-dependency) but it was a tighter film overall. I read a review saying it was ā€˜intoxicatingā€™ and that was accurate for me - very sceptical due to the period and dress-making but it sucked me in. Mark Kermodeā€™s fairytale and ghost allusions are interesting - as with other PTA films I imagine you find more after each viewing so Iā€™ll give it a second go with those in mind. Obviously DDL was amazing.

As someone said, there was a lot of OTT laughter though from mildly amusing parts - just really weird. Donā€™t get it at all.

2 Likes

I saw Phantom Thread this evening in pretty bollocks circumstances (the Odeon in Swiss Cottage left all the lights on for the whole film and I had to tell two people to shut up - spoiler: they didnā€™t) so itā€™s a testament to the film that I still loved it and canā€™t wait to see it again fairly soon. It looks SO gorgeous and so many little bits about it that I fell in love with (and I had no idea Julia Davis was in it!)

3 Likes