2018 February Film DiScussion Thread

New Cloverfield is rubbish. Pretty certain they Beyonced it so people wouldn’t get to see any reviews or hear any word of mouth.

Netflix is basically straight-to-video for millennials at this point. Only exception is Mudbound.

The three original films I’ve watched are Death Note, Bright and Cloverfield and they have all been awful. I really need to give Mudbound and Beasts of No Nation a go.

Shimmer lake was good

Oh yeah I liked Beasts. Okja was also oook, ja

Funny that, written and directed by the same writer as the Cloverfield. I have also been meaning to watch Okja and Meyerwitz Stories.

new Cloverfield is le tournoi

actually it’s 25% good, 75% rubbish

the good 25% was some genuinely good shocking moments (well, the bit where Mina turns up anyway I thought was great, maybe that’s the only one actually)

50% of the bad 75% was Chris O’Dowd, how the fuck is he still getting cast in anything. the other 25% was it basically just being a mash up of every other sci-fi/horror film. so many tangential plotlines that were completely redundant too.

complete mess, 2/5 for me clive

1 Like

Oh Chris O’Dowd’s character was so out of place. Horribly written
Dont mins him myself but the constant awful jokes did not fit at all

phantom thread was good

4 Likes

The new Cloverfield is basically a straight to TV b-movie, which is exactly what it is. Not surprised Paramount offloaded it, no way that would have got a theatrical release. As others have said it’s basically a Black Mirror/Doctor Who episode.

The new Cloverfield was like The Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Star Trek and Red Dwarf all blended up into one mad story, then translated into Russian, then Chinese and then back into English again… and I can’t say that I didn’t enjoy it even if it was very, very silly. I did start to tire a bit after 90 minutes though around the point when the part of the ship broke off and they started counting the angle it was listing at

Where does a guy start with Fassbinder?

I’d recommend Fear Eats the Soul, Petra von Kant, Fox and His Friends & Chinese Roulette.

1 Like

actually I reckon this face from the poster sums up Cloverfield Paradox pretty nicely

1 Like

Can I have a subthread that concerns Noah Bambach but also exludes his films, or should I create another thread?

I’d personally say The Merchant of Four Seasons, Petra Von Kant or The American Soldier

1 Like

X-Men: First Class

3 Likes

magneto with an irish accent is great

Watched that new Cloverfield last night, what a load of old tosh.

Why did the Russian’s eye go weird?
Why did he make a gun?
Why did he have both the worms and the gyrometer inside him?
Why did the wall eat Irish’s arm?
Why did the separated arm know what was up with Russian?
Why did Irish die with the magnetic thing?

There are many other issues but these were the most annoying off the top of my head.

1 Like
1 Like