2018 February Film DiScussion Thread

Yeah not very cinematic tbf, total Sunday on the sofa fare.

Saw Winchester. Holy shit its bad

Should have been a Shaun of the Dead spinoff instead

One of those was enough!

2 Likes

Found Phantom Thread to be as intoxicating and as utterly compelling as I hoped it would be. Really fancied going out for one of Reynoldā€™s MEGA breakfasts the following morning though.

Also saw The Umbrellas of Cherbourg which for a musical was rather depressing actually but I still got swept up by all the 60ā€™s style and wonderful use of colours.

Watch Dancer in the Dark

4 Likes

Fucking love The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

1 Like

Have done and loved that too! Though I knew less about Umbrellas going in than I did when watching Dancerā€¦

Aye itā€™s brilliant and Michel Legrandā€™s score was absolutely wonderful too!

If you like yoga and religious hysteria you may like this

First time Iā€™ve been the cinema on my tod tonight for phantom thread. Predictably wonderful. Thought all 3 performances were brilliant. Couldnā€™t shake day Lewis looking and sounding a little bit like Richard Dawkins throughout.

3 Likes

Well done on going alone! A lifetime of seeing what you want when you want awaits you.

4 Likes

Also went solo cinemaing for the first time tonight to see Phantom Thread. Tried to persuade a few mates but was quite a hard sell when they donā€™t know PTA and you have to explain itā€™s about a dressmaker. Anyway, felt slightly self conscious at first as the cinema was busy but I plied myself with vino and had a great time.

The film itself was excellent. Really, really loved Lesley Manvilleā€™s performance in particular; her delivery was greatā€¦ ā€œlet me put it unambiguouslyā€¦ā€. The whole thing was beautifully shot, but particularly the scene with the vision of Woodcockā€™s mother after the first mushroom poisoning. Also couldnā€™t get over how beautiful that spinning shot of the dressmakers all repairing the Royal wedding dress was..

The score has been mentioned a lot and was great, but I also loved how the whole thing sounded. The breakfast scenes in particular were so tense.

5 Likes

How is it your first solo trip? Always go on my own

5 Likes

watched three billboards again. still like it.

1 Like

I went alone for the first time also recently, though to see Boogie Nights (sensing a theme hereā€¦)

Iā€™m lucky enough to have parents and several different friend groups all into films - between them I nearly always find people to go with. But doing BN definitely made me realise itā€™s perfectly enjoyable alone so I wonā€™t let that hold me back in future, especially when it comes to one-off events and unique screenings.

1 Like

Didnā€™t want anyone to catch you eh

I went to an advance screening of Clio Barnardā€™s Dark River last night at the BFI and was pretty disappointed. Sheā€™s made two of my fave films of this decade so it was always going to be a tough act to follow, but this felt very heavy handed and melodramatic, which doesnā€™t seem to be where Barnard shines at all. Ruth Wilson is pretty unconvincing although Mark Stanley is great as her unhinged bitter brother. It does look pretty gorge, though.

Iā€™m a fully signed up solo film-goer. The first few times felt horrible but the more Iā€™ve gone the more Iā€™ve noticed other people riding solo. It now feels perfectly comfortableā€¦in fact I think I prefer it.

I hate taking my fiancĆ©e to the cinema to a film I want to see and about 20% of my energy is worrying about what sheā€™ll think of the film, and if she hates it then Iā€™m slightly embarrassed to talk about it or explain why I enjoyed it (this is x10 worse with friends).

Helps that most films I go to see solo are probably less mainstream - saw a Russian film at the BFI and Phantom Thread in 70mm this weekend - so people are there for the film rather than a ā€˜night outā€™.

1 Like

I used to go on my own all the timeā€¦ but thatā€™s largely to do with working in a cinema for a while. These days my girlfriend and I tend to want to go see the same stuff so no bother really