2018 February Film DiScussion Thread

I went alone for the first time also recently, though to see Boogie Nights (sensing a theme here…)

I’m lucky enough to have parents and several different friend groups all into films - between them I nearly always find people to go with. But doing BN definitely made me realise it’s perfectly enjoyable alone so I won’t let that hold me back in future, especially when it comes to one-off events and unique screenings.

Didn’t want anyone to catch you eh

I went to an advance screening of Clio Barnard’s Dark River last night at the BFI and was pretty disappointed. She’s made two of my fave films of this decade so it was always going to be a tough act to follow, but this felt very heavy handed and melodramatic, which doesn’t seem to be where Barnard shines at all. Ruth Wilson is pretty unconvincing although Mark Stanley is great as her unhinged bitter brother. It does look pretty gorge, though.

I’m a fully signed up solo film-goer. The first few times felt horrible but the more I’ve gone the more I’ve noticed other people riding solo. It now feels perfectly comfortable…in fact I think I prefer it.

I hate taking my fiancée to the cinema to a film I want to see and about 20% of my energy is worrying about what she’ll think of the film, and if she hates it then I’m slightly embarrassed to talk about it or explain why I enjoyed it (this is x10 worse with friends).

Helps that most films I go to see solo are probably less mainstream - saw a Russian film at the BFI and Phantom Thread in 70mm this weekend - so people are there for the film rather than a ‘night out’.

I used to go on my own all the time… but that’s largely to do with working in a cinema for a while. These days my girlfriend and I tend to want to go see the same stuff so no bother really

Going to see loveless tonight (accompanied)

I’ve always really wondered about this. Why did you feel so horrible? I’ve never really understood the self-conscious element. Gig going too (though this is admittedly better with a pal).

In life in general I find it’s good to remember that no-one cares.

I’ve been going solo since I was about 15, didn’t have many friends into films so it just felt natural really.

I don’t know really! I’m pretty self-conscious at the best of times so it was amplified.

I think it’s because you’re doing something alone that’s traditionally done with other people so it feels like you stand out as being different (when as you say in reality either no one notices or cares).

My mum goes on holiday alone a lot and she says quite often when she sits down to dinner in the hotel on her own there’s always one or two who come up to her and ask if she’s alright and would she like to sit with them…in fact she’s just comfortable in her own company.

That’s fair. I’ve always found it a bit baffling that cinema going was seen as a group activity given you can’t talk during the film.

Big fan of the post-film pub analysis though. Missed that last night

Also a reasonable comment. I find online discussion is a good substitute for that, especially as I can gather my thoughts a bit rather than blurt out my unformed opinion.

Remember feeling a bit embarrassed after seeing Moonlight and turning to the TV saying ‘well that was sad wasn’t it’.

My girlfriend went to see this last week.

Apparently it is very good.

Saw it at LFF and was sad to feel the same. Just felt pretty hackneyed and, as you say, melodramatic, which you just wouldn’t associate with Barnard. Still got a really interesting treatment of landscape and place which feels very her.

Watched The Disaster Artist, had a good time

Loveless - Beautifully shot in a way only Zvyagintsev can do and was completely gripped even if I did find it oppressively bleak at times. A film where no one seemingly likes anyone but a very interesting comment on modern Russia and a satisfyingly ambiguous ending which I guess might annoy some.

The Post - went in with quite low expectations but actually really enjoyed it. Helped that I wasn’t familiar with the story at all and loved that seemingly everyone was in it. It’s Saul Goodman! David Cross! Her off The Wire!

Showed the TV The Room on the back of watching The Disaster Artist. It is funny but it is also just plainly really awful as if a teenager created it really. It’s funny how old Wisaeu has been vindicated now

I liked loveless a lot and it’s absolutely beautifully shot. Found some of the political comment a bit heavy handed at times though (the reliance on phones, constant selfies stuff). But small potatoes, it was overall very good

Oh but also, without even meaning to, it’s quite Lynchian isn’t it

sadly w/r/t the post i completely agreed with this… er… post

just seemed like a load of naff scenes with a load of naff cameos. compared to All The President’s Men which it seemed to be retrospectively setting itself up as a sequel to it was practically awful.