2018 February Film DiScussion Thread

Going to see loveless tonight (accompanied)

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always really wondered about this. Why did you feel so horrible? Iā€™ve never really understood the self-conscious element. Gig going too (though this is admittedly better with a pal).

In life in general I find itā€™s good to remember that no-one cares.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been going solo since I was about 15, didnā€™t have many friends into films so it just felt natural really.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know really! Iā€™m pretty self-conscious at the best of times so it was amplified.

I think itā€™s because youā€™re doing something alone thatā€™s traditionally done with other people so it feels like you stand out as being different (when as you say in reality either no one notices or cares).

My mum goes on holiday alone a lot and she says quite often when she sits down to dinner in the hotel on her own thereā€™s always one or two who come up to her and ask if sheā€™s alright and would she like to sit with themā€¦in fact sheā€™s just comfortable in her own company.

1 Like

Thatā€™s fair. Iā€™ve always found it a bit baffling that cinema going was seen as a group activity given you canā€™t talk during the film.

3 Likes

Big fan of the post-film pub analysis though. Missed that last night

4 Likes

Also a reasonable comment. I find online discussion is a good substitute for that, especially as I can gather my thoughts a bit rather than blurt out my unformed opinion.

Remember feeling a bit embarrassed after seeing Moonlight and turning to the TV saying ā€˜well that was sad wasnā€™t itā€™.

2 Likes

My girlfriend went to see this last week.

Apparently it is very good.

Saw it at LFF and was sad to feel the same. Just felt pretty hackneyed and, as you say, melodramatic, which you just wouldnā€™t associate with Barnard. Still got a really interesting treatment of landscape and place which feels very her.

1 Like

Watched The Disaster Artist, had a good time

Loveless - Beautifully shot in a way only Zvyagintsev can do and was completely gripped even if I did find it oppressively bleak at times. A film where no one seemingly likes anyone but a very interesting comment on modern Russia and a satisfyingly ambiguous ending which I guess might annoy some.

The Post - went in with quite low expectations but actually really enjoyed it. Helped that I wasnā€™t familiar with the story at all and loved that seemingly everyone was in it. Itā€™s Saul Goodman! David Cross! Her off The Wire!

Showed the TV The Room on the back of watching The Disaster Artist. It is funny but it is also just plainly really awful as if a teenager created it really. Itā€™s funny how old Wisaeu has been vindicated now

I liked loveless a lot and itā€™s absolutely beautifully shot. Found some of the political comment a bit heavy handed at times though (the reliance on phones, constant selfies stuff). But small potatoes, it was overall very good

Oh but also, without even meaning to, itā€™s quite Lynchian isnā€™t it

sadly w/r/t the post i completely agreed with thisā€¦ erā€¦ post

just seemed like a load of naff scenes with a load of naff cameos. compared to All The Presidentā€™s Men which it seemed to be retrospectively setting itself up as a sequel to it was practically awful.

1 Like

oh I also watched free fire yesterday and yeah Ben Wheatley has completely lost it. ooooh better make sure someoneā€™s head explodes so people know itā€™s still me! cool man, try actually focussing on showing the viewers the layout of the room ffs.

2 Likes

Not seen it but my word High Rise was poor

JĆ³hann JĆ³hannsson has died, aged just 48 :frowning:
Huge loss, particuarly loved his Arrival score.

1 Like

Watched Diary of a Teenage Girl, it was alright. Can imagine it really connecting with its target audience but Iā€™m not in that bracket. Bit uneasy about the usual hyper sexualisation of teenagers and the age of the actor playing the lead but those are industry wide issues.

Watched baywatch which was obviously shite but not really in the ways I expected. Tried so hard to be edgy/funny in the way that other films like I dunno bad neighbours or superbad manage but missed this mark every single time as there was no chemistry between anyone involved. Also it did an awful job of trying to tell its mindlessly simple story and just seemed edited and thrown together in the most slap dash way possible. But strangely I can imagine itā€™ll get a wee fan base in the same way that people keep telling me to watch ā€˜white chicksā€™ cause they reckon itā€™s hilarious.

Thereā€™s a scene in Baywatch where The Rock throws a baddie into a pool and declares ā€œits bathtime bitchā€ - the peak of my cinematic year.

2 Likes