2018 January Film DiScussion Thread

films

Criticism, however professional has always been full of shit man, watch it for yourself and judge for yourself maaaaan

The Virgin Suicides

Somehow never seen this but it’s actually very good and not at all what I was expecting. The source material helps it out of course but it’s cast and shot and designed really well. Interesting as it seems like an alternate universe for Coppola where she could have gone in a completely different direction with her oeuvre, one that feels more like Wes Anderson or something.

ARGHHH JEFF!!!

The last film I watched was Fargo. I don’t know why, but there’s something I find very comforting about that film, despite the fact Steve Buscemi gets shoved into a woodchipper.

‘So, that was Mrs. Lundegaard on the floor in there. And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper. And those three people in Brainerd. And for what? For a little bit of money? There’s more to life than a little money, you know. Don’tcha know that? And here ya are, and it’s a beautiful day. Well…I just don’t understand it.’

yes!

SPRING BREAKERS

drumroll

Well, I came for Jeff Jarett, but I stayed for James Franco and… I QUITE ENJOYED IT.

It’s damn fucking sight better than The Bling Ring anyway, at least it has a legible point to make and is far more entertaining to watch.

Loved the “Look at my shit” and Britney Spears piano cover, thought it made a pretty solid point about the “American Dream” and obsession with drugs, guns and sex and crucially, the fact it’s the girls who ultimately hold the power makes it all hang together.

So @badmanreturns what’s yer excuse? :smiley:

I will say though it does take a while to get going, it only really begins to get interesting once Alien bails them out, I get the excessive partying needs to be there to build the context/character (Selena Gomez is the only one really with a character of the girls) but it does feel after a while it’s just there to fill time to get the film up to 90 minutes. But when it does get going, it’s good craic.

Molly’s Game

Aaron Sorkin isn’t for everyone but anyone who gives an actor of Jessica Chastain’s calibre such a large starring role is absolutely fine by me. She’s in approximately 100% of that film. It’s great.
It’s not quite as Sorkinesque as I was expecting and possibly a bit better for it.
It’s basically an interesting story told well. I do wonder what a different director (Fincher, Soderbergh, Jodie Foster maybe) would have done with it though.
It maybe lacked a little emotional depth (until right towards the end when its all done in a couple of lumps which is fine actually. ). Maybe a little too much surface but, hmm, I might change my mind about that in a few days.
But goodness, the casting was absolutely superb. Michael Cera was particularly perfect.

Yeah. Decent. Worth a look/10

it’s a shit film and i can’t believe harmony korine went to the producers and said ‘i’d like to make a creepy film where i just film young girls in bikinis please’ and they went ‘here take my money’

Are you really sure you can’t belueve that? Think carefully

Also one of them is his wife so I guess that’s ok?

his much younger wife

i dunno i literally haven’t seen it since the cinema because i thought it was creepy and shit. i’m gonna stick with that opinion.

yes, but not as young as the rest of them! (she’s about 10 years older, lol).

It was by no means amazing or anything but I enjoyed it for what it was. It goes to that age-old argument of art-imitating-reality innit, it’s no different to those sleazy “girls gone wild” videos, at least here the girls get a story and a voice and some sort of retribution

It’s fine to objectify younger women as long as you are also sleeping with them (not seen it, don’t know who either of them are)

I know you’re (half) joking but I’d just like to point out here I wasn’t being entirely serious with the “well one of them is his wife!” comment

It does mean that she likely had a lot of ability to be able to say “no I don’t like that/want to do that”, so at least she was probably comfy with the way she was being portrayed.

she’s notably absent from the “look at my shit” scene

(I still haven’t watched it)

(State of film commentary these days eh)

:smiley:

Three billboards is really good. The humour is a bit jarring in places but the strength of the story and the lead performances pulls it through.