2018 January Film DiScussion Thread

Yeah thinking about it more, there’s actually 2 or 3 really good films trapped within mother! that Aronofsky decided not to make and just ploughed on with an overblown, farcical fuckfest instead.

not rinse-washing your quinoa first, eh champ? living on the edge

I bet this is all just a marketing exercise for the DVD release, isn’t it? They’re probably all on the Warner payroll.

I have many questions about this, but the main one is why are Wonder Woman’s mum and Iron Man in the Justice League film?

I find it impossible to believe this film is worse than MoS or BvS but someday it’ll be free to stream and I will find out!

I think it’s just that some people’s expectations were too high and when the film wasn’t perfect they cling on to the hope that there’s some better version out there (as some people will with Solo, I’m sure). When that version is made by Zack Snyder though, history suggests it probably won’t be better, he was the wrong man to do it in the first place.

TBH I didn’t mind BvS. It looked like it would be a complete car crash right from the first trailer so I think maybe my expectations were so low that I found it surprisingly watchable. Not good, but watchable. Especially compared to Suicide Squad…

Good Time (now on Netflix) - yeah, really good. Has a great energy to it that doesn’t fizzle out like it does in many similar films and R Patz is superb. Weird how it got such a low key release here, I gather in the States it was pretty well received and screened.

https://twitter.com/JoelGord/status/951608995986354176

2 Likes

Yeah, same. Really captured the feeling of my kind of anxiety dreams. Actually found myself saying “For fuck sake, get off that fucking sink!” out loud.

1 Like

Going to that posh refurbed Odeon “Haymarket” tonight to see a very underappreciated foreign language film*. Anyone been there yet since it became posh? Looks pretty nice.

*Ok I’m seeing Jumanji 2.

i realise it’s not actually called that, but is it intended as a sequel rather than a reboot?

It is a sequel

what a time to be alive

3 Likes

Yeah its really nice. Foot rests! Loads of legroom!

1 Like

Smells of toilet

Funny you mention it, i was thinking exactly that last week when i saw The Florida Project.
It has the same combination of high-intensity over-saturated dreamlike candy colours, but with tons of handheld gritty, ow-rent, everyday stuff thrown in. It had maybe sorta been done before i guess but Spring Breakers definitely minted a new kind of style.

just realised The Rock was in Welcome to the Jungle and now Jumanji : Welcome to the Jungle

funny world eh?

4 Likes

Yeah, I loved it. Especially the bit with the wee toy birds and his big dumb grin.

He’s a great and strange man

2 Likes

^^^

3 billboards : absolutely brilliant for the first hour and a bit then peeters out, imo