2018 March Film DiScussion Thread

London dickheads

This looks interesting - https://cpass.io/?kid=MFPBQ

It would be good to get clarification on participating cinemas. That map is a mess that just seems to include every screen in London, and I can’t really see places like the PCC, BFI Southbank, Close-Up, etc. signing up for something like this.

Hmm, that looks very interesting…

Not sure if Odeon/Cineworld will agree to it if they have their own Unlimited services, also 1 film per day might end up annoying if you want to see a few in a day (hello January!) - will sign up to the waiting list anyway.

Yeah, thinking that it could be useful for the non-multiplex stuff for sure but it seems a bit too good to be true considering the price.

They have a similar company in the States called Moviepass which people seem to love. No one has really figured out how they plan to make any money yet:

I don’t think it’s a case of cinemas agreeing to it - the pass is more of a debit card that you use for paying for the ticket I believe.

Klute - this is a good movie. Jane Fonda was a good actor at one point, huh?

There’s also this - out in the US this summer, no UK date yet

You Were Never Really Here - very good/10 but couldnt say I loved it. Couple of things that held it for me. Some of the violence is genuinely pretty shocking though, found myself like O_O at several points.

Thought a fantastic woman was good

Cineworld, Odeon, Vue, Curzon, Electric and Reel are all listed at the bottom as participating.

We’re accepted at over 90% of cinemas in London, with plans to expand to the rest of the UK, and many EU countries, very soon. To find a cinema in your area, simply enter your postcode in the map above.

Our network of participating cinemas is huge, and we have most of the biggest venues in London in our network.

Okay it’s limited to standard 2D (which rules out things like VueXtreme) which narrows your choice of screenings down a bit, but it seems too good to be true.

See the post that @Jack205 posted up there - Curzon have already said their logo shouldn’t be on there.

Yeah, that’s what I mean - they’ve splashed logos all over the place and there’s no way that the economics can stack up.

I liked it a lot as well. Really good example of “show don’t tell” and sort of really economising wrt storytelling. I feel like it worked better here (with a more minimal plot, though I don’t think minimal is necessarily the best word) than in We Need To Talk About Kevin. I’m hoping to watch Morvern Callar at some point soon as well, c/o MUBI.

I had a light internal chortle at one moment I presume was an intentional little joke: playing ‘The Air That I Breathe’ by the Hollies in the background of one scene, given that Jonny Greenwood provided the (excellent) score.

I really liked this as well but was glad of the short run time as it was very heavy going at times. I didn’t pick up on the Hollies/Radiohead connection just thought it was a go at black humor as it was playing while the guy was dying.

We didn’t quite understand the fathers part in it all (the dialogue was a bit mumbled), was he always involved with the abuse and if so why hire Joaquin Phoenix’s character in the first place?

Moviepass is owned by an analytics firm, which means it may not even have to make money as a standalove venture.

I’d guess this is looking to go in a similar way?

Yeah, wasn’t sure whether it was meant to be purposely confusing? Not really sure what was going on there.

This looks pretty cool:

Yeah I read it as joaquin wasnt told the whole truth and was basically being used to settle a score that he wasnt really aware of, hence why everything went tits up so quickly. Basically walked into a much bigger situation than he could comprehend or deal with appropriately.