2018 March Film DiScussion Thread

Well this was unexpected:

Veronica - Starts off really intriguing but ends up being a bit of a cluttered mess. Donā€™t get the claims that itā€™s dead scary, it isnā€™t.

Carol - Loved it, very satisfying watching the story play out and characters develop. And it looks amazing. Was very surprised (in a good way) that itā€™s a happy ending because you tend not to get that in these sorts of filmsā€¦

Brokeback Mountain - Which led me to rewatch this. One of my favourites and up there with the very best. For 2 hours 15 minutes this goes by much faster than that and doesnā€™t drag in the way a lot of shorter films do.

1 Like

Off to see You Were Never Really Here tonight. Dead excited!

1 Like

Itā€™s very good, Joaquin Phoenix rivals Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain for Best Mumbling in a Film too.

1 Like

I think theyā€™re prepping it as a Flashpoint reboot-a-thon of the series, basically ditching the shite.

White House Down is the good one. Insane that Olympus got the sequel.

1 Like

This is the thread to mark my utter dismay at The Shape of Water on just not ā€œgetting itā€ hitting me straight on. Why the hype, Iā€™ll never know.

Donā€™t @ me.

And itā€™s getting a third one now too! Never underestimate the racist shithead demographic I guess

Youā€™ve just ruined my day.

1 Like

Iā€™m seeing that this afternoon. Let me know what you think. Iā€™ll do likewise but wont type any spoilers.

:frowning:

3 Likes

Have you seen it or just surprised by the decent reviews?

You Were Never Really Here - This will stay with me but I havenā€™t quite landed on whether I liked it or not yet. It looked and sounded absolutely incredible and Phoenix is superb in it but it kind of deliberately keeps you at armā€™s length and makes itself very difficult to fully buy into. As a portrait of an extremely troubled human being its very powerful and it will definitely stay with me.

Gringo - This is a bad film. Too much plot, too many characters, too little to care about. Just not good all round really.

Mom and Dad - It features Nicolas Cage smashing a pool table up whilst yelling the Hokey Cokey. Whatā€™s not to love? (Quite a lot tbf, too much frenetic editing and showiness for it to be as fun as it could have been). Worth watching if you love nutbar Cage though as thereā€™s plenty of that. Also a family with young kids wandered into the screen by mistake during a scene where a mother gives birth and immediately tries to kill the baby and I had to very quickly say to the Mum how disastrously in the wrong screen they were. Think there will be three very damaged kids as a resultā€¦

1 Like

Calvary - I really wish the McDonaghā€™s would make Irish films again.

In Bruges > Calvary > Three Billiard Boards > The Guard > War on Everyone > Seven Psychopaths

Saw You Were Never Really Here on Saturday. Thought it was really amazing. Very fragmentary but specific shots keep coming back to me and, as they do, it seems to work together more coherently. The jelly bean shot is one of my favourites in years. Ramsay is a really singular filmmaker and I think this nightmarish film might be her best yet.

1 Like

Just rewatched You Were Never Really Here and my thoughts were much the same as my viewing at the LFF:

Iā€™ve actually read the book now. Itā€™s a tiny 70 page large print novella and the story is told in a very straight-forward manner. It explains the overarching story a little clearer but the film adds a lot of colour that wasnā€™t there.

Really love that soundtrack, got it off Bandcamp last Friday.

1 Like

just back from this, thought iā€™d love it but i didnā€™t. it was okay. shot really well and jackqueen is good but idk wanted a bit more meat i guess?

The soundtrackā€™s on Bandcamp? Yes, Jonny

You Were Never Really Here.

I thought it was excellent. Kind of brutal but you donā€™t see any violence. Phoenix manages to put a brilliant performance with just a few thousand yard stares. Great film.

From what I could manage of the trailer it looks legit unwatchable.