2018 March Film DiScussion Thread

Haven’t seen it in a while, but I was really surprised by Pride. I think I was expecting some lightweight, slightly whimsical, ‘overcoming adversity’ bollocks, but it was pretty epic. Might watch it again soon.

I’ve lost track of them to be honest. Was the Dubai one the fourth? I stopped bothering with them after that. I think the first one is a bonafide espionage classic though. And it’s got Emilio Estevez in it so it’s hard to object to!

First one - the Channel Tunnel one
Second one- the John Woo one
Third one - the Philip Seymour Hoffman one
Fourth one - the Dubai one
Fifth one - er…

1 Like

Fifth one - the Theatre one? I remember there being a set piece in a theatre

2 Likes

a theatre and a big washing machine

2 Likes

And Tom Cruise driving a motorbike really fast in a shirt. And probs my fave character in the whole series (Rebecca Ferguson’s). Loved it.

Absolutely ace car chase in the fifth one

2 Likes

It really wouldn’t have made a difference to the film at all if there had been made a reference towards Mark’s political leanings, would it?

https://twitter.com/MarkHarrisNYC/status/973262928517443584

Tomb Raider is getting the whole gamut of reviews. Sufficiently mixed for me to go and see for myself:

5 stars in Little White Lies, 2 stars in Empire and The Guardian

it seems … slightly unlikely that this’ll be a 5 star film

1 Like

GOGGINS THOUGH!!!

1 Like

Man, I will go to my grave refusing to believe that Doomsday could have cost £20 million.

In 2008 money!

Agreed it would be an acceptable if forgettable straight to DVD film, what bothered me about it was that actual money was spent on something which is basically the script of every other post-apocalyptic dystopia put into a blender.

1 Like

I felt the film was tonally spot on, managing to tackle the subject matter deliciately whilst also injecting plenty of humour throughout. Again I thought the cast were really solid and most of the non-Welsh actors did a good job of the accent too!

1 Like

Saw Game Night tonight, enjoyed it a lot, was good fun. That is all.

3 Likes

watched Sex Tape last night. couldn’t buy into the fact two of the kids in it were called Clive and Howard

also found A Fantastic Woman online so watching it now. it’s pretty great but the trailer showed too much

Annihilation was a whole load of not-good. Wasnt engaged with any of the characters and my God, that final quarter might be some of the worst effects I’ve seen in any “proper” film. Not just a matter of CGI either, just some very questionable directorial choices.

1 Like

I’m amazed how much of a free pass the script is getting too

right near the start there’s a scene where Portman gets invited toa barbecue, and it’s the clunkiest dialogue ever

“i’m painting our…my room”
“it’s been 1 year now…it’s okay to move on”

arghhhh

4 Likes

Fucking lol the Everyman are showing Annihilation on the big screen for £25 a ticket.

https://www.everymancinema.com/hampstead/film-info/annihilation-live-qa#scroll

1 Like