2018 Rolling Hip-Hop Thread

Also enjoying milo’s stuff! Wasn’t too familiar with him but he did a guest mix on Tom Ravenscroft on BBC 6 Music on Friday and it was great so bought a few bits off his Bandcamp. This is great…

Here’s the show he appeared on. Tom Ravenscroft plays some interesting stuff. Did a big double take the other evening when I heard him playing Mach-Hommy!

rip craig mack

I really like B Woods but tend to appreciate him more in small doses.

getting some slightly guilty pleasure from this; the trap / mumble rap kids need their own ‘I Wish’ by skee-lo

hadn’t heard buddy since ‘awesome awesome’…

Hey look, it’s a DOOM project that actually has a release date. He doesn’t exactly light up this track but it’s good otherwise

really like this beat

Debating whether or not to go to this…

As great as 93 Til Infinity is, I’d say it was an exaggeration to say their legacy and influence extended as far as Tribe’s or De La’s

didn’t want to say it, but that was my immediate reaction to that blurb too

Yeah, totally. Even that album is overrated (definitely doesn’t warrant a documentary made about it). But they are good live, and rap nights at Jazz Café are always full of old faces. Masta Ace and Kool G Rap shows coming too (sadly not at the same show).

Black Star / Pharcyde co-headline tour is appealing

aye, tempted by this

The Hip Hop titans Black Star f.k.a. Mos Def and Talib Kweli are coming back to London to perform classics such as “Respiration”, “Brown Skin Lady”, “Definition” and "K.O.S. (Determination)”. Not to mention that this show will mark the 20th anniversary of their seminal album release Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star. A new album is out this year too produced by Madlib.

Copied straight off the official event. That last sentence :open_mouth:

Feel with Mos Def it’s the kind of thing that will get announced and either never happen or be completely phoned in but at least on paper it sounds awesome

Yes. Difficult to get too excited after things like Madvillainy 2 fail to materialise after years of speculation.

Ctrl + F: “Greedo”

Guys?

Anyone listened to Wolf of Grape Street yet? It’s pretty great Just the 21 tracks on there, so a lot to unpack, but given his last three tapes were, respectively, 40, 33 and 33 tracks long, this is practically an EP. Anyway, the guy has so many different guises. Here is rapping over what’s basically a Nintendo soundtrack:

Here he’s doing Future Beast Mode era emo-rap:

There’s also a guy on there called Ketchy the Great (terrible name) who has an excellent, guttural voice and flow:

Greedo is good. Thought I posted about him last year but just pulled up the receipts and no transitions history was available. Wolf of Grape Street is good. If i wasnt Rappin is prob my fav of his. His voice kinda sounds like T Pain a little to me. He’s got a great sense of melody.

About to dive into this new Conway The Machine…

this is bad, @navajo, delete this from your memory bank asap.