2019 — Classics / Canon DiS Hip-Hop Listening Club

i like this album cos it’s weird and short. compared to their first two anyway.

i be blowin is really sweet vibes

I’m a big fan of this album and Stakes is High. I think I’ve heard their first two albums too many times and don’t really need to hear them again but I’d happily listen to Buhloone Mindset again. I love the Japanese bit in Long Island Wildin’ and keep meaning to listen to more Japanese hip hop. Can anyone recommend some quality groups?

“I’m the greatest MC in the wooooorld!!”

nice one nav, loving this album.

yeah, eye patch based around an upbeat blues sample, next song based on an industrial sample, next song jazzy. all flows so well though, love how each rapper follows on from the previous one, so tight like they’re in a cypher.

this is exactly what I love about peak De La. they tapped into some really pure collective artistry imo

I’ve only ever really gotten into Nujabes but always meant to investigate the featured artists on his (brilliant) albums to see if it leads to any more treasure

there’s some good artists on this Japanese YT channel but much more contemporary / trap sounding than De La / Nujabes

was thinking about how I dont really know which rapper is which by their voice. it never really mattered to me to find out cos they all were great and there wasnt a weak link. pretty rare for a group not to have a clear standout or two.

Brilliant! Thanks nav.

this mass appeal doc is good

yeah really enjoyed that. love digging out old footage of them from their genesis period too. coolest mf’ers bar none

prince paul just seems eternally cool

The Coup - Genocide & Juice

Released 1994. Production by Boots Riley.

this one is funky, with some interesting production tricksiness. lyrics cover the difficulties of life for the working class in a funny and unbowed way.

the cover seemingly pisstakes the pass the courvousier drinks-endorsing era of hip-hop, before it happened.

‘Genocide & Juice’ is a mad album title for '94. Looking forward to this one.

nice pick. was hoping we’d get some coup in here eventually. i just saw sorry to bother you (would recommend if you havent) a couple months ago so it had me revisiting their stuff a bit. also the death of pam the funkstress :frowning:

always liked the back half of this a little better altho the first two actual tracks on here are two of the best.

fat cats & bigga fish is one of the best 90s songs full stop, and i love the video

here’s the video for takin these which i’d never seen:

Nice. Admittedly always slept on these guys. Don’t think I actually checked them out until they dropped Party Music just before the 9/11 attacks and everyone went crazy about the album art.

Also enjoyed Sorry To Bother You.

my two favorite deep cuts off this are interrogation and repo man but the last four tracks before the outro are all great.

for further reading i would recommend this nytimes piece from last year on boots (not too much music talk but gives you a glimpse into his politics/beliefs

is your username from the coup song?

yeah, ‘sorry…’ is really good. last year also had ‘the hate u give’ and ‘blindspotting’ set in the same place I think. hate u give was super.

the roots must have taken inspiration from the third track, ‘takin’ these’ for ‘now or never’…

‘fat cats, bigga fish’ is so good. goes full spectrum tonally- from very low bass to the strings, which fits the song perfectly- the hustler (with a stolen bus pass) narrator rubbing shoulders with the fat cat “doing a whole community”. great concept, title.

that piece on boots was a good read, thanks. have thought the same about jay-z.