2019 Rolling Hip-Hop Thread

I got into him through his collaborative releases with Starlito and I think those are the best place to start.

I’d jump in with Step Brothers Three and navigate from there. Also this free companion EP mixtape on Datpiff has some hits and is a good balance of them hopping on fun beats mixed with a couple of deeper moments (their take on Dead Presidents is great)

this seems to embed automatically but its also a free DL on datpiff.com

http://piff.me/f0195ea

here’s two from SB3 for a flavour

this has one of my favourite DT verses:

this gives me a lump in my throat if it catches me on a bad day

1 Like

Thanks for this. In hindsight I have definitely heard him on some Starlito ‘solo’ stuff, but clearly hadn’t digged enough. Love their chemistry on SB3.

New 03 Greedo / DJ Mustard out today!! And it is great. Final song on the tape though… think there’s some dust in my eye…

1 Like

gonna give this a spin. Only 03 G i’ve heard is the song Touchdown which really exists in it’s own dimension

New Old Droog is solid. Executive produced by Mach Hommy.

1 Like

Love the tune with Wiki and LUM. Need to dig further

gonna give the new Q album some spins

been a hot minute since anyone used this sample, love it

1 Like

A near flawless 30 minutes of dank, psychedelic hip hop. Very addictive.
If this is the kind of form he’s been in then I’m defo going to have to check out some of Muggs ‘older’ recent stuff.

2 Likes

Really underwhelmed by this album. Quite a disappointment.

1 Like

I liked the one he did with Eto.

Massive fan of Mach Hommy. A real rap oddball in the vein of Ghostface. Selling his CDs for $1000 and giving totally nonsensical interviews.

It’s smooth. It’s not like some people. I just had a conversation yesterday with someone. All I had to say for the entire conversation was “up-and-up” “yeah, yeah, up-and-up” “yeah…and up!” This other motherfucker: “down, down-down-down-down-down-down, up” “down, down-down-down-down-down-down, up.” That’s his pattern. Look at that pattern on a piece of paper, that’s crazy! We’re going in opposite ways. The intersecting point of our patterns happened within the first three minutes, and we’re talking about a fifteen minute conversation. At the end of the conversation, he’s down there and I’m up here. Bad news.

3 Likes

Yeah I’d never heard of him until i heard this album. I follow an ex-melody maker music journo called Neil Kulkarni on FB who recommends an album a day from this year. 50%-ish of it is hip hop and Mach Hommy cropped up on a few of them now (quelle chris, your old droog - both excellent). I’ll give that muggs-eto album a go next, cheers.

Ah, nice. Just given him a follow. Cheers. Just saw he recommended the latest billy woods and Kenny Segal one which is excellent.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve given it a couple of spins, it sounds ace.

Love this guy a lot. definitely a breath of fresh air for UK rap. so many previous UK hip-hoppers threw me off by being so damn serious so it’s great to see someone having some fun

also like the new Loyle Carner a lot

good rap music

always amused by these underground rappers setting high purchase prices.

1 Like

great watch

I think I’ve heard this guy on a Danny Brown record. I like it.

Yeah he’s from Bruiser Brigade (DB Collective). broke out a few years back with this v weird rap song

new Tyler out today, sounds GREAT on first play

new Chance, seems to be readying a debut studio album

new Khaled with Nipsey Hussle video is haunting

1 Like

Igor sounds really busy to Me atm, especially ‘boy is a gun’. ‘puppet’ also sounds pretty unpleasant

Few things I’ve been into lately:

Young Nudy & Pi’erre Bourne - Sl’imerre
Really, really loving this. The Pi’erre Bourne beats on this are so weird at points but sound incredible. Like Playboi Carti, Young Nudy isn’t exactly a technical rapper but his flow suits these beats. Some of the production reminds me of that early cloud rap stuff, just mixed better. Favourite so far:

Slauson Malone - A Quiet Farewell
One half of Standing in the Corner (producers massively influential in the NY + Earl scene) who have apparently broken up? Anyway, this is best listened to as a whole album. Loads of chopped samples and lazy rapping

DaBaby
This is a little old now but just want to post about DaBaby as he is probably the 2019 MVP so far. Guy has mad energy and his videos and bars are fucking hilarious.

2 Likes