2019 Rolling Hip-Hop Thread

Love the wave of people suddenly saying they think the beats are trash because of this :rofl:

3 Likes

Definitely my favourite UK rapper

1 Like

Yeah, appreciate you hipping me to him. Just the right amount of weirdness. Prefer High Stakes… to this new one but it’s still great. Love it when he’s in sketchbook mode - tracks sounding a bit half finished and just ending. Reminds me of Madlib in Quasimoto mode

1 Like

enjoyed this more than I thought I would. he’s got that classic slick rick flow on. not sure the beat for the first half needed re-airing though some beats are just too iconic

1 Like

I’m liking the new Dreamville album. It’s nothing groundbreaking and sometimes there’s too many artists shoehorned into one song but it’s pretty enjoyable from start to finish nonetheless. Got the opening track on repeat:

https://youtu.be/-p9Gy4hkwhY

(think embedded links are blocked)

1 Like

Yeah I’ve trimmed it a bit based on my needs, but it’s pretty enjoyable. Would love it if Cole could loosen up and snap like this a bit more on his solo albums, and over some more modern production.

1 Like

Agreed man, I don’t think his projects ever reach his potential but he shows glimpses of it here and there. Can’t wait to hear new albums from him and JID

Who’s excited about this new Nas album?!

:neutral_face:

‪https://youtu.be/8BEwNkGYkMM‬

…and that’s what they’ve chosen as the single.

The Lost Tapes was made when his skills were razor sharp but his creative/commercial decisions were a bit questionable. This sequel is culled from a period where he was well past his best (Hip Hop is Dead to Nasir). Was hoping for one or two classic tunes buried in there but even skeptical of that now

1 Like

NEW MAXO IS :fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

think this is the album he’s been building up to his whole career

beat switch on this ooooft

going to feel invincible blasting this all weekend.

3 Likes

NEW NAS IS :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

1 Like

been like 17 years since i had any anticipation for a nas release. not surprised

the jearreau of rap song is kinda hilarious to me. never thought id hear nas doing project blowed freestyle fellowship style songs. i respect it for the shear wtf-ness of it. like it legit just sounds like a myka 9 song to me.

1 Like

Yeah, same. Aside from Nasir, actually.

kanye duped us a bit for sure but i was very skeptical going in. more about nas than anything. it seems so hard to maintain being an interesting rapper into your 40s when your creative peak was 20 years prior. which honestly is why i thought the jarreau of rap song was fun, an unexpected turn, would like to hear more boundary pushing like that.

been hearing good things about this

… unless you’re devin and just have the perfect lane to stay in for your sound to age gracefully

2 Likes

Can’t stop playing this track @nav, need to set some time aside to give the album a spin

1 Like

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

4 Likes

A Breukelen Story was a real surprise for me. His best record since A Long Hot Summer by a long shot