2020 Health & Fitness

Scottish gyms reopening from 31st August :tada::partying_face::tada::partying_face::tada::partying_face::tada::partying_face::tada::partying_face::tada::partying_face::tada:

3 Likes

got to get those sanitizer gainz :muscle:

2 Likes

Getting really upset with another injury where I donā€™t know what it is. Massively struggling now.

iā€™ve started getting paranoid about hurting my rotator cuff for no good reason.

blaming @anon26275971

i see children skateboarding now just bouncing off concrete and i wince thinking about how badly one slightly wrong landing would destroy me

1 Like

speaking of injuries - i have a soreness around the shoulder blade area, i still have a full range of motion but if iā€™m say, pulling a door behind me I get a slight twinge of pain. It seems way too minor to go to a doctor about, especially at the moment, but itā€™s not going away (managed it a few weeks ago now, I was making a throwing motion with my arm and immediately could feel something give)

Off to the gym or pool six days in a row!

Week 36
8 games/ 8 hours
18 goals
0 injuries

Itā€™s good to be back!

1 Like

Ran 5k in like just over 27 minutes today. Thatā€™s well good. Hadnā€™t timed myself running for a few years but previous best was 29.30 or something

6 Likes

Week 36
9 games/ 9 hours
18 goals
1 injury (omitted from last update)

Gonna go to the gym tonight for the first time back, planning to start with about 25% of the weight I was lifting/pushing/pulling before lockdown but even thatā€™s probably going to be too much atm

So weird, the gym used to be a big part of my life pre-lockdown but I have no desire to go back right now, despite them opening up here

I reckon I can lift more now so I might venture back during the day when I am off next week. Sure we have had this chat already but what are everyoneā€™s thoughts - do they seem safe?

can have a go if you want

1 Like

I think it depends on the gym. Mine is vast with good ventilation and enough equipment and space that the can shut every other thing off and you donā€™t have to be within 10m of anyone. If you go outside of the busy hours (7-8am, 5-7pm) itā€™s pretty quiet. Temperature checks on the doors, plenty of sanitiser, sprays etc for cleaning. Theyā€™re using PT staff to act as additional cleaners so the equipment is being constantly cleaned. So mine is probably much safer than any pub or restaurant but of course thereā€™s still a risk, like there will be for doing anything indoors. Having said that I imagine smaller gyms wouldnā€™t be able to manage anything like that.

What has your gym communicated to you that theyā€™ve implemented?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve walked over 650 (specific walking) miles in the last three and a half months, ran a mile for the first time in who knows how long. Been doing kettlebell stuff as well and lost lots of weight. Three trouser sizes at least.

Then I went to my sisterā€™s yesterday and she had some scales and I havenā€™t weighed myself in well over a decade. I couldnā€™t believe how much I fucking weighed! More that I would have predicted before I started losing weight.

After a few hours of shock and revulsion it has just made me redouble my efforts. So thatā€™s goodā€¦ Iā€™ve also ordered some scales as well as I just canā€™t believe it (although I guess hers were correct). Fuck!

Itā€™s one of ā€˜The Gymā€™ gyms so they have quite a good list of things that they doing (including an ā€˜electrostatic cleaning blastersā€™?!) but it is the basement of a building so will have next to no ventilation. Hmmm, might see how I feel next week but maybe not worth risking it when I am perfectly happy with my home set up at the moment.

iā€™m wondering if the busy hours are going to be the same as usual since everyone works from home now

Thatā€™s a good point actually, my gym was very busy from office workers nearby. I still think after 7:30 will be pretty quiet.

Yeah her scales werenā€™t far offā€¦

itā€™s all muscle man, those kettlebells must be doing the trick

for real though i wouldnā€™t sweat what the scale says. sounds like youā€™re doing amazing and everything is moving in the right direction so just keep at it.

2 Likes