2020 Health & Fitness

Jurgen will be calling you up soon

On day 9 of trying to run 5k+ every day until Christmas. Legs feel surprisingly fine. Been better than normal at actually running my slower runs at a proper recovery pace, and been varying routes, speeds, distances etc.

yes i did

will the :syringe: boost your frisbee performance?

Thatā€™ll need more than doping

Sacked off the gym tonight because I am tired.

Can someone remind me I need to go tomorrow?

Go tomorrow Keith

1 Like

Hereā€™s how much my weight has gone down and up again during 2020 (via Bluetooth scales - itā€™s roughly a couple of stone difference)

The big dip was during lockdown 1 when I didnā€™t have any work to do, there was no football on, and I had the time and inclination to do loads of exercise and eat healthy.

Rise is as life has got back to normal with workload and stuff. Back to exactly where I was ffs - Iā€™m absolutely useless at maintaining a healthy diet/lifestyle while I have work on. Just feel exhausted all the time.

Know itā€™s an unhealthy mindset to focus on losing weight, but my general mood/mental health/energy levels were absolutely miles better during the first lockdown when I was eating well and exercising.

Anyone the same as me where itā€™s absolutely all or nothing? Any tips on getting out of that cycle and balancing stuff in a reasonable way?

5km PB today. 27:38!! Who am I! :pleading_face:

14 Likes

just got back from a run, looked like one of fastest my times but then noticed that Strava had overestimated the route slightly :angry: hope it hasnā€™t done that for any others
still pretty proud that iā€™ve kept up running once or twice a week for a few months

also been enjoying the FitOn app @Gnometorious recommended for yoga and stretching. looks like apps are the way to go

2 Likes

Well done! :tada:
Glad youā€™re enjoying FO, too :blush:

2 Likes

Only slightly slower than my time for 2.5km.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve felt physically ill at the end of the last couple of 5ks Iā€™ve done because Iā€™ve got so unfit over lockdown, so rather than doing one 5k a week, Iā€™m now planning to do two 2 mile runs a week instead (and maybe work up to 5k again if my body agrees)

Iā€™ve been doing two runs a day 5 days a week and then one on one of the weekend days (or at least try, torrential rain or work sometimes get in the way). Since the start of October. Done just shy of 200 miles.

This week I have run the furthest I have ever run in a day (~7.5 miles) and the furthest in one go (~5.5 miles).

Iā€™m in the weird place of being a size where I should not be able to do this. Iā€™m much fitter than my size should allow because Iā€™m on the way down.

I have fixed my nipple issues. Kneesā€¦ not so much.

Thatā€™s seriously impressive but do you need to run twice a day? Take care of your knees!

Also, whilst size obviously has an impact on fitness, you definitely can be fat and fit, theyā€™re not mutually exclusive

2 Likes

I donā€™t need to but the first one isnā€™t too long and Iā€™m quite compulsive. Itā€™s nice to get the time to myself. The runs are the only time this happens really.

2 Likes

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:
Louder for the people at the back!

2 Likes

Just started couch to 5k.

First run on Tuesday went by easy as anything but during todayā€™s I was having quite a lot of pain in my hamstrings. Still managed to finish the session and everything but just wondered why this might have been caused, seeing as I had no pain during the first run.

The most obvious answer is that I didnā€™t stretch before or after the run on Tuesday but Iā€™m not sure if it could be caused by something else? I made sure to stretch after todayā€™s!

The walks at the beginning and end are supposed to be all the stretches and warming up and down you need

1 Like

Warm up before, and stretch after. Donā€™t stretch on cold muscles - elevate your heart rate first.

Tight hamstrings are probably, in part, related to DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), which is where your muscles ache a day or two after exercise. If your body isnā€™t used to running or exercise then itā€™s not unusual for this to happen. It shouldnā€™t persist though for too many sessions though, if youā€™re running slow enough.

So, donā€™t run too fast. I havenā€™t done Couch 2 5K, but I expect that itā€™s based around slow runs, to build up strength and conditioning first. On a slow run you should be able to hold a conversation easily. Running too fast and too hard too early will exacerbate DOMS and tight muscles.

It will get easier.

1 Like