2021 albums of the year lists - rolling thread

First out the blocks, the Welsh Music Prize and delighted to see The Anchoress (who I manage) is on the list

1 Like

It’s October for the love of god! There’s two months of releases to go. :open_mouth:

7 Likes

I am taking this as Scottish independence btw

https://twitter.com/SAYaward/status/1453315758063329282?s=20

2 Likes

Not sure if the Welsh Music Prize qualifies as an album of ‘the year’ list as it spans releases between 1st August 2020 and 31st July 2021, similar range to the Mercury Prize.

1 Like

but if we’re doing it, then here’s the NI Music Prize

2 Likes

Ah ok!

Reckon Hannah Peel or New Pagans will win.

The SAY award finishes even earlier as albums had to have been released between 1st June 2020 and 31st May 2021.

1 Like

think Peel is too high profile but i’d put money on New Pagans

it used to be very easy to predict because it was always a solo artist with an acoustic guitar every year

1 Like

Aye good call.
Having her in the running is a good draw though.
Ah man all those interchangeable cardboard standee-like acoustic singer songwriters in NI :roll_eyes:
Havent heard all of the albums but have at least heard a few and seen a few other live. A mix of good, okay and acts Ive seen and thought were dogshit :smiley:

VerseChorusVerse album has a good name for an awards lineup tbf

Lets just rename the thread to UK regional album prizes and someone can start the AotY lists thread when Rough Trade put theirs out in a few weeks.

2 Likes

yeah she could still be in with a shout of winning actually as she’s had a good year, but New Pagans feel a little bit more nailed on to me

some of the acousticy winners were actually not bad, i just found it funny how similar all the winners were for so long. even now there’s been one rock band, one electronic collaboration and the rest all earnest singer songwriters.

1 Like

Aye Tony Wrights solo stuff is grand but a lot of the other just merge into one.
There was a documentary about one of them on BBC One the other night and I was like “really? THIS guy?” and it had people like Foy Vance and that chiming in. And he could have been literally any acoustic songwriter lad you’d see about town.

SeymourSkinnerItsTheKidsWhoAreWrong.jpeg

1 Like

Rough Trade announce their new “special end of year variants”

FTFY

Well that quote went to pot.

3 Likes

saw a trailer for that and was confused. i’ve heard the guy’s name before but i thought he was just some guy who plays in bars round here, baffled to see him treated as a celebrity. i’ve just checked and he hasn’t even released an album?? but he does have quite a lot of Instagram followers and Spotify listeners

Just checked. Its an hour and 19 minutes long.
Must have some good PR company on the case or BBC have shares in him like that new Adele record.

Bots and playlists? Actually hold up:

Can only imagine either we are too old (possibly) or he is decidedly ‘not for me clive’ if he has skipped both of our radars in such a small locality.

touring with Snow Patrol seems to be the key

1 Like

Also, calling it UK & Ireland Tour and its only dates in Ireland

2 Likes

Belfast is in the UK :wink:

On the island of Ireland.
Thanks for letting Derry go though :wink: :+1:

3 Likes