2021 favourite Compilations/Reissues/E.P.s/Live Albums/DJ Mixes/etc

I don’t think we had this thread yet for 2021 - what were your favourite releases this year in the miscellaneous formats that wouldn’t have been covered in the LP and song threads? 2020 thread for reference

3 Likes

10yrs of Double Double Whammy

A compilation of artists on the label covering songs from their back catalogue.

3 Likes

Compilations:

Single artist comps:

Reissues:

Probably loads of other reissues but I don’t really keep track

Only live album I can think of is Klara Lewis’s recent release

No E.P.’s spring to mind but must be a few.

6 Likes

Gap at the top isn’t displaying this for some reason

Oh forget it :slight_smile:

Thanks for setting this up, I’m writing my EPs of the year up as we speak. :smiley:

The two best reissues of the year for me are Whipping Boy.

and SFA.

4 Likes

Plaid’s second remix album is a treasure trove. Enjoyed it hugely.

3 Likes

Mannequin Pussy - Perfect EP

One of the most consistently excellent bands going

2 Likes

Three EPs I thought particularly good:

The choral-punk ensemble Jenny Moore’s Mystic Business

Creeper’s excellently gothic emo punky Bat Out Of Hell-esque American Noir

Sofia Kourtesis’ house track La Perla was my favourite song of the year. The rest of the EP is well worth investigation too.

4 Likes

Compilation-wise, I loved this musical wander round contemporary Tehran

And this mammoth collection spanning 30 years of amazing electronic music on the Tresor label

This archive collection of North Carolina mountain songs

And this anthology of the 40 member Somali supergroup, 4 Mars.

7 Likes

Some of my picks from last year:

Special Request – DJ Kicks mix

Probably my favourite, played this to death when it came out and still enjoy returning to it now. It flows effortlessly

Sofia Kourtesis –Fresia Magdalena EP

Noticed this was included in some publications end of year album lists, which I can understand.

Overmono – Fabric Presents mix

I find some of their 12” hit and miss, but this mix is brilliant.

Iglew – Light Armour

Great EP on the Wisdom Teeth label, hopefully he won’t leave it another 6 years before the next one

Special Request & Tim Reaper – Hooversound Presents EP

4 Likes

I can only think of one live album I loved, Tunisian experimental artist Emel’s Everywhere We Looked Was Burning (Live). One for fans of Bjork, I reckon.

And only one great cover version comes to mind, Anna B Savage’s ice-cold take on Edwyn Collins’ A Girl Like You (which comes from a very good EP I missed off my list above).

1 Like

I do love a concept album (or admire the endeavour, at least). My favourite of the year was this celebration of the 100th anniversary of Karel Čapek’s play R.U.R. It is ambient electronica using excerpts from a 1937 radio performance of the play to tell the story.

Čapek’s play was a fundamental work about artificial, factory-assembled servants called “robots”, a word derived from Czech term for forced serfs’ labour. This word was suggested to Čapek by his brother Josef but it was the very play, R.U.R., that introduced it to the world.

2 Likes

I love a good compilation! The Friday release threads have had some tasty ones in the last year.

my fav came out in February and I nabbed a vinyl copy over Christmas - Colemine Records Presents: Brighter Days Ahead. I guess you would class it as a record label sampler type of thing.

EP wise… India Jordan’s - Watch Out!. It’s banger! For some reason a “disc 2” has been recently added to the Spotify version.

1 Like

COMPILATIONS:
Jackie Leven - Straight Outta Caledonia
Nancy Sinatra - Start Walkin’

LIVE
Shizuka - Paradise of Delusion
Oh Sees - The Chapel, SF 10.2.19

REISSUES
Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies
My Morning Jacket - At Dawn 20th Anniversary reissue

BOX SET / REISSUE / PHYSICAL ARTEFACT OF THE YEAR
PAUL Quinn - Unadulterated / Unincorporated Boxset - includes the 2 PQ & the Independent Group LPs plus live cuts and rarities as well as a hardback book featuring photos and press cuttings, and a couple of prints.

I bought all of these on vinyl.

EDIT: Forgot the EPs
Sofia Kourtesis - Fresia Magdalena
Satomimagae - Colloid

7” SINGLE
Horsegirl - Ballroom Dance Scene

2 Likes

Sort of cheating cos it’s not really a compilation themed around anything other than the year of release, but the Bleep 100 is always worth buying I think (I don’t think they stay available for too long each year, not sure).

https://bleep.com/release/255547-various-artists-bleep-100-tracks-2021

1 Like

Also I went on at length about the Optimo 2021 mixtape series (particularly in the unused download codes thread), but if you don’t go in there then the tracklists are here:

And for another few days they’re available to download in exchange for a £25 charity donation, details:

^that message is from Jan 5th, so I assume Jan 12th is when that offer ends.

1 Like

Loved Habibi Funk II md Somewhere Between (both mentioned by @zanimos above)

A few others

A brilliant compilation which ranges across some spritely electro pop and lots of gossamer light ambient instrumentals. FFO Talk Talk, Blue Nile, Eno, YMO etc.

A companion piece to the above - mostly U.K. stuff from the same era and in a similar vein.

Great reissue of a superb album by the Japanese pop singer Akiko Yano, recorded in London in the eighties with members of Japan and Ryuichi Sakamoto (her romantic partner at the time) providing the music. Incredibly catchy eighties electro pop.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Everything Logic1000 touched last year was pure gold. If she ever puts an album out rather than just keeping releasing singles/EPs, it’s going to be special! House/electronic goodness and championed by Kieran Hebden:

My other big favourite EP from 2021 was Tamaraebi’s Spectrum. I’ve seen him list Prince, Outkast and Tame Impala as his big influences and they’re a good indication of the sound. Maybe some D’Angelo too? Really addictive stuff and he deserves to be huge.

2 Likes

The three volumes from Martyn’s 3024 Artist Mentoring Program is pretty lovely.

2 Likes