2021 Rolling Hip-Hop Thread

Ah you’re right - just checked! June 21st!

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

that’s summer sorted

1 Like

Really enjoying this from Cryptic One of Atoms Fam.

Enjoyed this. Great to see someone so long in the game feel like he’s peeking through finally.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he grabs a Mercury nomination for this new record.

1 Like

rip black rob

don’t think I ever checked out his other stuff but life story was a good album

3 Likes

Very sad. I’m like you, only really listened to Life Story. I reckon he came out at a bad time and don’t think Bad Boy was a good fit for him - felt he was truly an underground rapper. “Whoa” was huge - even at the backpacker nights like Scratch.

1 Like

Whoa might by a perfect hip hop song.

RIP

2 Likes

Agreed. Seemed to transcend the hip hop divides of the time. It was everywhere.

2 Likes

New Akai Solo. He has an album coming out on billy woods label this year apparently.

The latest El-P episode is out, talking about Def Jux and the all time classic that is Cannibal Ox’s “Cold Vein”.

I’ve got the afternoon off work & I’m now very tempted to spend it listening to Def Jux albums.

1 Like

Finally listening to the Breeze Brewin album from earlier this year. It bangs. Road Rage beat is fucking great.

3 Likes

Actually strange how few I regularly listen to now having made up half of my listening as a teen. What hold up as classics? For sure Labour Days/None Shall Pass, Fan Dam/Sleep When You’re Dead. The Cold Vein feels the most influential in some ways. Still got a lot of time for Murs 3:16, but feels like an anomaly in the Def Jux catalogue. I Phantom was my all time favourite album at 15, but felt a bit naff as I got older, should revisit. Could I still listen to Hell’s Winter? Dunno.

1 Like

Yeah, same.

Browsing the discography now. I still listen to Cold Vein, Fantastic Damage, Cool Calm Pete’s Lost (random, I know), Def Jux Presents 1 (Simian Drugs :fire:) and Labor Days. Cannot listen to Cage anymore, aside from the a few of the early 12s.

I was listening to Alaska (from Hangar 18) talk about the label on a podcast and he mentioned that they got to a point where he believes they resented, or were perhaps a bit embarrassed by, their fan base. Really stuck in my head, and made me wonder how much that altered their output. They definitely became less interesting to me, but I was never sure if that was just my tastes changing or if they were consciously trying to be less ‘weird’. See albums like SA Smash (although that was pretty early on).

1 Like

I could never get into the likes of Hanger 18 or SA Smash when I first got into Def Jux. My go-to’s were always Cannibal Ox, El, Aesop, Mr Lif and Murs. C-Rayz Walz first album on Def Jux was cool, but never went back to that it often. Had completely forgot about Cool Calm Pete, I remember really digging Lost. Cage is a weird one. Had a few good tracks here and there, but his voice would get a bit annoying listening to a full album.

Remember when Dizzee put out one of his albums on Def Jux in the states? That was odd.

1 Like

RJD2 too. Deadringer is a classic.

1 Like

I liked Hangar 18 - was quite into all the Atoms Family guys before the Cannibal Ox when I first discovered the joys of Napster and buying CDs off Sandbox. Alaskas album from last year was very good actually.

Yeah. Very weird.

Cage is doing tracks with Insane Clown Posse nowadays.

New Wiki on the way

1 Like

Cage is such a Gathering of the Juggalos rapper

1 Like

This is really good.

1 Like

Just gonna put this out there - it makes me look bad really - but I’ve never knowingly listened to a Def Jux album. Have heard a couple of Cannibal Ox and Aesop tracks, and some RJD2, but that’s about it really. Never listened to an El-P album (have heard two RTJ albums, which were just OK imo). I think when I was getting into hip-hop I just skipped straight over this specific underground period. Probably going to have to do a deep dive someday

1 Like