2021 Rolling Hip-Hop Thread

Missed this earlier this year, Jim Jones and Young Thug make a surprisingly enjoyable pairing

1 Like

Ooooh yeah

5 Likes

Don’t think I’ve seen this mentioned on here. Seems very enjoyable for me. If you liked the McKinley Dixon album this has a similar warm live band feel, though maybe more Funk than jazz.

Some bits sounds like Prince, Frank, and Stevie.

2 Likes

Forever grateful there’s a Kanye thread of his own and he doesn’t get talked about in here :pray:

5 Likes

Looking forward to definitely listening to Donda today.

1 Like

Not sure how I missed it but that Open Mike Eagle album from last year is on repeat in my head and my streaming service of choice. Love the production and self-deprecation. It’s basically perfect to my ears.

6 Likes

Yeah, love that album. I didn’t properly get into it until mid January, so missed out on my AOTY list. Would definitely have been on there if i’d given it the time at the time.

1 Like

It’s such a strong set of songs, and even though they’re mostly about despair they just sound so pleasing, from his voice to the beats and stuff, that it’s a really enjoyable listen.

1 Like

Niiiiiiiice

5 Likes

New Skepta on the way

1 Like

Enjoying this interview with Uncommon Nasa. His Dope Shit Podcast is very good - hips me to so much new music.

1 Like

just really don’t think I like Dave’s voice or choice of beats

leaves me pretty much cold :confused:

For me some of it was very good but there are some stinkers on there. Musically a bit boring too i think.

I think I’m similar. I can see how much talent he has; lyrically and technically he’s so impressive, but there’s something about his albums that hasn’t clicked with me yet, and the production doesn’t stand out. I also find his albums too earnest at points? That’s probably not a fair criticism as the stuff he’s rapping about is clearly important, but the tracks I come back to are the upbeat ones like Location, Disaster, Clash or System. J Hus is way ahead of him in terms of replay value imo

2 Likes

Have been spending more time with this recently and feel like it’s one of his strongest projects. MIKE’s albums usually take a while to click for me - something about his flow, the repetition, the way the hooks are kind of hidden under the surface; it’s not to say I don’t enjoy it straight away, but it takes a few play-throughs before it really embeds itself. The run from Aww (Zaza) to at first sight by Assia here is so good, I keep returning to it.

I’ve been listening to The Sun’s Tirade recently after enjoying the new Isaiah Rashad singles.

It was a little bit trippy and long for me when it was first released but now it sounds like pure art. Just over an hour but never repetitive and without a single skip. Feels like a hazy, hungover, overcast day - kind of spectral and haunted and weird. A very cool vibe to maintain for an hour.

3 Likes

One of the albums of the 2010s for me

1 Like

only Thugger would do a Tiny Desk with 4 new very introspective direct songs and a punk band

1 Like

Gone right off Young Thug since he did that mixtape with Chris Brown. Was just properly getting into him too. Ah well.