2021 - year of the vegan

Thanks! Just slopped on too much of the mushroom stuff which fell down the sides and created little wings of sauce in pastry. The seitan itself looks quite good but so dry.

When I’ve made seitan a bit dry (or have left it to dry out), I slice as thin as possible it and fry in an good amount of oil and soy sauce to make it tasty and wet again

1 Like

Yeah…frying it after steaming is always the best way to have it i find, especially in hot oil so it burns slightly at the beginning, Although that doesn’t really make it wet again in this instance, just more like crispy bacon. I think as there was too much gram and soy flour compared to wheat gluten it altered it too much. It was super wet when I formed it into the log. I cut off a bit before i wrapped in pastry so may see if that is salvageable thinly sliced though.

You should try some of this gravy to add the flavour, there’s a lot of ingredients and it feels like it’s accidentally vegan but it’s fantastic. It goes as well on a Sunday lunch as it does fried vegan chicken.

£1 in Iceland as well

51P-QV8psCL.AC_SS450

1 Like

Is this the latest vegan thread?

Idk, but these are so so so good

5 Likes

I think this one fizzled out because of this thread:

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/plant-based-food-discoveries-2021

But yeah, Booja Booja’s stuff is all great that I’ve had, by some miracle I found some of their ice cream at a park in Worcester when I was visiting my mum and it was incredible, though part of that was my surprise at actually finding vegan ice cream.

Have you had Four Sides Pizza by the way? It’s wonderful, greasy as hell but so tasty, and the dough balls are astonishing.

1 Like

I’ve had the ice cream before and love it despite it getting a bit chalky if you eat too much, but these are next level.

I’ve not been there yet, it’s just opened in town, hasn’t it? I’m trying to lose some weight but I’ve got them in mind for a treat meal eventually.

Absolutely gutted to find out yesterday that Doner Summer is on deliveroo but doesn’t deliver to my area, but it’s for the best.

They’ve opened one in Chorlton now, definitely avoid if you don’t want to have too many calories, it was pretty much a deep fried focaccia covered in (actually nice) vegan cheese and a bit of tomato sauce.

I’ve never had Doner Summer before, I’ll check them out. Though I am very much in to getting a vegan naan, some of the Vivera kebab stuff and a load of pickled veg/salad, and constructing one myself.

1 Like

Oh yes, vivera kebabs are a delight.

Doner Summer are in Yes, I think their deliveroo name is something totally different though like chow chow vegan maybe?

Oh, didn’t realise it was Chorlton, I think I was confusing it with Purezza that’s where Dough used to be in the NQ - also high on my list!

Forgot that Dough had shut down, they made their own vegan cheese and it was wonderful. Purezza looks great too though.

I miss Zad’s so much since moving away from GM.

That is all.

1 Like

Having a weekend in Manc in June so had a quick look at Happy Cow the other day and was intrigued by here, so good to know its good.

I can’t bring myself to unsubscribe from Vegan Shack in Collyhurst or Vedic in Droylsden despite moving out of Manchester 8 weeks ago now.

I bought a tin of banana blossom today.

Can anyone recommend a recipe for me?

I tried the Christmas Dinner pizza they had in December 2019

it was a LOT

but I want it again so badly

Zaaaaaaaad’s.

1 Like

Got a couple of fsh and chips ones or think leon has fiah tacos one which essentially the same as the fish and chips one but with smaller pieces and mexican slaw

The front of the can looks like a fried fish substitute but the tacos could be a goer.

Found the worst take on the internet this week…

2 Likes