2022/3/4 Running Thread

Holy shit

3 Likes

Good lord that’s fast.

For me, get round a marathon in one go this time, ended up having to run/walk after about 30km (and a badly timed wee) last time round. Ostensibly a 4hr target but depending on training might bring that down in a month or so.

Fair play! I ran a 78 minute one in 2019 when trying to go sub-80 and can’t imagine going much quicker!! (Although I did that with very few long runs… so maybe I could one day!). Essentially I ran 10 miles as quick as I could then held on. Not pretty (or advisable!)

Sounds like maybe you’re still not well rather than having lost pace because of a few days off.

Sub-1:30 half. Maybe run my second marathon.

My plans for this year are to manage a year that is as injury free as possible, ideally hitting 3000km. Was going well this time last year, but by March had a bunch of niggly, persistent injuries that culminated in a total loss of mojo and binning off any kind of structured running for the rest of the year. Pottered around, recorded nothing and probably averaged 2-3 runs and 30km a week for the rest of the year. Trying to slowly build back up now and have run every day since 1 January. Low mileage, getting plenty of hills in and planning to get back to specific sessions February-March time. Currently have an off-road marathon in June and a mountain nav race in September in the diary, though hoping to do some more racing over summer and maybe a short ultra late in the year.

90 minute half. Maybe have another crack at a 3:15 marathon but may save that for next spring

1 Like

Reckon this is the best tactic for a fast half tbh. A gamble obviously but worth it for when it pays off

2 Likes

Last run I did before last weekend was October 2021 when I did a 10k in 46:05. Have booked a 10k in May and main aim is under 45 mins and for my knee not to hurt, if that goes OK will see about a half marathon later in the year and try 1:40? (Best half time is 1:52 but that was a while ago)

I’m currently training for the South Downs Way 50 mile in April so just trying to get my mileage up and lots of runs up on the Downs. Have a vague aspiration of going sub 8 hours but I’ve only done one 50k so far so it’s a bit of an unknown and I could end up completely bonking and walking it in. The other main race I’ve entered is the Pinnacle Ridge Extreme in the Lakes which is a combined running and scrambling race, 3000m of elevation in 30k and a small bit of grade 3 scrambling so I’ll need to do a fair amount of specific hill training for that but just aiming to get round. Also doing some local trail marathons and shorter cross country races.

3 Likes

Hurts though innit

Yeah, bit bizarre in that my symptoms all seemed gone pre-run but then the run was unexpectedly difficult and slow and the symptoms came back with a vengeance a few hours later. Not something I’ve had before. A few day’s rest it is.

1 Like

No spectacular running goals for me, just wanting to keep enjoying it and keep it part of my habit. Want to keep up the number of runs and distance I’ve managed for each of the last 3 years (200 runs, around 2.3k km) and do at least a couple of half marathons that are within 5 minites of my PB (1hr 28m).

Nice! I entered what was the old Lake District Sky Ultra a few years ago, which I think is from the same team putting this race on. Didn’t end up doing that one, but had a memorable day out reccying Pinnacle Ridge and the descent off Nethermost Pike. I’m guessing they’re still roping it up?

Yeah I think they basically took the more technical scrambling sections out of the Sky Ultra and made it a separate race, and the Sky Ultra is now all runnable. Looking at the website photos they do seem to have ropes on all the cruxes so shouldnt be too bad. Think it would be fine in the dry but with wet rock and fell shoes on I’ll probably be glad for them! I did the Snowdon skyrace last year which was really fun, but that only had grade 1 scrambles (Crib Goch etc). Have you ever thought about doing the Glen Coe Skyline? that looks properly epic.

It’s the only time I’ve done PR and it was generally loads of fun, but the crux corner and down climb off the pinnacle after that are pretty serious. I swerved them as I was on my own. The climb up the corner looks pretty straight-forward, but the down climb is exposed and you wouldn’t want to fall off. For sure I’d want a rope in a race.

Yeah, Glencoe Skyline looks immense. I’d be up for it I reckon, but I’d want to be feeling pretty fit to be on the start line! No ropes on that one I’m pretty sure, and the Aonach Eagach ridge in the second half of the race looks pretty juicy. One day maybe.

1 Like

Yeah Aonach Eagach looks very exposed and the idea of traversing it with 40k or so already in your legs…eeesh. I do really like the idea of these big scramble/ridge linkups, its kind of what got me into running in the first place. Its interesting that quite a few high level climbers are doing more running these days, Alex Honnold for example https://www.trailrunnermag.com/people/culture-people/alex-honnolds-dad-challenge-and-learning-from-trail-running/ and of course guys like Ueli Steck and Killian were/are both great runners and alpinists.

1 Like

I’ve taken on all the feedback and will be doing the following.

Adding 1 of the recovery runs per week

Taking a day off cycling to work and running in and out instead - so 10k each way. I figure this will be good for running on tired legs

Perhaps more critically - I am not going to push myself at all for these runs - just basically jog and see how it goes.

5 Likes

Think I’m going to dip back in for another crack at a marathon in October

• Dublin
  • Lisbon
  • York

0 voters

Dunno much about Dublin or Lisbon but York is supposed to be good but undulating! They talk about it a bit on the Running Commentary podcast, which i really enjoy.