2022 Rolling Hip-Hop Thread

Thought the track was alright with but true that the OMG LMAO IDK bars are a bit silly. In 2022. For a man who’s nearly 50.

I’m sure I’ll get round to listening to it at some point. Just… really can’t be arsed.

This made me laugh.

1 Like

It’s also a bit like saying Westside Gunn made the same album 10x :smiley: And ignoring the fact that he basically did his best Illmatic impression on the last album.

The fact is, he just doesn’t have it in him anymore. It’s not like he’d make another Illmatic if he tried. That album is tied to it’s time and place and circumstance and removed from that it’d just be old man Nas repeating things he’d talked about a million times before…

He fucked it by not staying is his lane a bit more back in the day, but I’m not sure we’re missing out on any classics while he’s making this series.

1 Like

Going to apparently be announcing more UK/EU dates

5 Likes

That’s a really good line up

2 Likes

Kings Disease III is decent. Pretty sure I won’t feel the urge to play it again.

I just don’t share Nas’s taste for beats - he can put in an incredible lyrical performance but I always find Hit Boy incredibly vanilla so I never go back. I found myself comparing the KD series to the recent Lloyd Banks albums - he’ll never be one of my favourite lyricists but he picked far more interesting production.

I caught him on his first venture over with Open Mike years ago and he was awesome. Glad he’s finally coming back. Probably not going to be seeing him in Cardiff this time though…

2 Likes

I was also at that and it certainly was great, the amount of late night trains and coaches or crashing on sofas I used to to do back then as there was a good run of acts coming over. Most of it seemed to be at Birthdays, enjoyed it when Geti came over with Open Mike for the Cavanaugh tour.

Reckon it is 4 years since I’ve seen him now so that was still back in the milo days

1 Like

Nice - still mad I missed that, loved that album. Hope they revisit that project for another full length sometime

1 Like

This new AKAI SOLO album may be the one to make him click with me. I’ve enjoyed his previous stuff, but this new album has made me revisit his last couple of projects and they’re all sounding better than I remembered.

For those that are interested

2 Likes

First time I’ve heard of him, clicked with me pretty instantly

Like yourself, I’ve been checking him for a while and whilst I’ve enjoyed all of it there’s never really been anything that’ll be troubling my top 20 of the year.

Given the co-signs from Backwoodz I feel like I should like this new one more but have played it several times and keep tuning out. I don’t find him very engaging.

2 Likes

if the album wasn’t finished yet i would simply release it slightly later

1 Like

You could certainly believe it. Due to the massive gap between albums, I think a lot of people just thought he’d completely gone off the boil, but it now stands out as an anomaly in quite how dodgy it is, in terms of Nas’s performance on the mic.

Would have loved to see them nail down 7 tight tracks like Ye managed with Pusha (and the production is still more interesting than the Hit Boy stuff), but in hindsight, it’s a miracle even that turned out so well.

1 Like

I wouldn’t continuously promise deadlines I can’t meet and just release stuff when it was ready. Or call my album Hitler.

Fascinating.

Out today - really enjoying this

Outbreak have started booking hip-hop acts and some pretty good ones at that. Can’t imagine it will interest anyone that’s not also into hardcore but imagine there’s lots of crossover on these boards

3 Likes