2022/3/4 Running Thread

Hey i think you’re worthing ish based right? I’ve run for years but only ever solo. Would consider some social interaction at some point… Sounds fun. What club did you join? (no need to say if you want to keep a veil of anonymity!!)

Its Worthing Harriers, they are mainly a track club I think but have a road/trail section which is the bit I train with. normally they do a track session, road session and interval session per week. During the summer the road and intervals are done up on the Downs, had some amazing runs last year with the evening light. Pretty mixed ability group, people running anywhere between 16 min and 30 mins for a park run for example.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I’ll investigate :slight_smile:

1 Like

After trying for ages I finally felt like I’d got properly ‘into’ running around summer/autumn last year. Was going 3 times a week, parkrun times coming down etc. But was getting nagging pain in a few places and running with a lot of strapping.

Finally got it checked out by a physio and got the rather bleak news that I’ve got tendonitis in my knee, ankle and hip.

Been told to stop running immediately and knuckle down to some very repetitive exercises for an unspecified amount of time so my running goal for the year is now just to do enough physio to allow me to get back to doing any kind of running again. Dreading starting the whole process of getting running fitness back tbh.

So my advice for anyone getting recurring pain after each run is to try and get it looked at early if possible as leaving it might end up impacting other body parts (my issues have basically traveled down the chain of command from my hips to my ankles) and will likely lengthen the rehab time needed.

Good luck to you all, will hopefully be back in this thread before the end of the year!

1 Like

Yes - this is my worry with my knee. Hope you get it sorted!

Cheers, it’ll take a while I think (physio reckons 6 months per injury and said it’s hard to rehab all 3 at the same time so could be 18 months), but it’s partly my fault for ignoring ongoing issues and not getting things checked out

Hopefully yours is nothing serious and can be improved with a few exercises while you carry on running :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Get back up to running 10ks, get under 45m, run 3 times a week.

That would do.

What will actually happen - start cycling more regularly again and sack off running entirely for 6 months.

1 Like

Gonna do some running while it’s cold and crap for cycling

Thinking it might also indirectly help strengthen my back and neck?? This might be completely wrong. (Going to see physio tomorrow so I’ll ask them)

My 5k pb is 24:50ish, 10K just under an hour but can’t remember what.

If I can run any 5k under 25 mins by March I’ll be amazed but who knows :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just joined this.

No specific goals for this year. Missed out on my 1000 miles (later revised to 1500km) targets last year due to a couple of months of injuries, so will probably aim for those again. Am running a little quicker again at the moment, way off my best ever paces but certainly better than I have been for a long time. Not that I’m looking at PBs or anything these days, happy just getting out there.

Have signed up for the Liege Beer Marathon in May again, and the Great South Run in October. Am, obviously, also in the pointless London ballot.

Was about to get up and try to force myself to do my first run of the year when this happened

POV: you are lying in bed.

4 Likes

2021 was the year if running for old bluto. +2,000km, first marathon, but main thing was started to really enjoy it

this year goals are 1) keep enjoying it, 2) try to improve 5k and 10k pbs (realistically i probably need to lose weight to do this), 3) find a new house in an area where running outdoors is possible 4) don’t let stupid football injuries stop running enjoyment

good stuff

4 Likes

Good grief

Tuesday’s first run to shake the cobwebs off after 10 weeks was awful. Really miserable pitiful 2.7k and I was very much still feeling the bank holiday party in me. Almost had an asthma attack when I got in (reminder to get a new ventolin prescription).

Much much better 25 minute 5k today. I’ve still got most of the training in my legs thankfully, if not my lungs. Looking forward to a long and slow on Sunday.

Race wise I’d love to book something in soon. A half before summer when it’s hot would be my dream, but will see if I can get a 10k in sooner.

On the clothing front, 6 degrees in SE London today and I was absolutely fine in my normal shorts and t shirt, no gloves or anything. Actually felt quite pleasant.

Had a goal of 3000km last year and didn’t quite hit 2500, just never managed to put together consistent months of training, always some injury/illness/life got in the way. The last 3 years have been pretty much identical in terms of distance/ascent/time, which kinda suggests something fundamentally wrong in my approach, so really going to try to concerntrate on consistency and keeping on top of diet/booze/stretching/rolling. Started 2022 with a decent tilt round the local Park Run, followed immediately by what turns out to be a sciatic nerve issue. Can be managed while keeping running, but annoying to start the year without a solid week of training. Probably going to have a bash at a road marathon in July and then switch to the hills for a couple of off-road events in September and October.

I’ve done a 10k and a 5 miler this week. Was surprised to realise that the 10k was the longest I’d run since early July.

Was really pleased that the 5 miler last night felt a chunk easier than it had for ages - as in, no stops to “tie my laces”, I.e. stopping for a breather. Turns out if you do more exercise, you get fitter…

Haven’t been running for a while since wee one arrived, so me and my partner are wanting to get a running buggy to get back out. Didn’t know if anyone on here had a recommendation or advice for what to look for?

They must make people absolutely rapid because, as a rule, everyone who pushes one round parkrun will overtake me. The ultimate humiliation

2 Likes

I like to imagine their child waits til the person says “go” and turns and just says “I just went poo poo”. Then the sprint begins.

1 Like

I console myself by thinking that maybe they can do some kind of coasting pushing along a buggy, and that’s how the buggies are faster than me. Definitely not down to me not being as fit as then, oh no