2022 UK Elections

Don’t think we have this yet? Local elections and NI Assembly Elections next Thursday (5th May). Thrilling stuff.

Who are you voting for?

England
  • Labour
  • Green
  • Conservative
  • Liberal Democrat
  • Other
  • Independent
  • Not voting but like polls

0 voters

Scotland
  • SNP
  • Labour
  • Green
  • Conservative
  • Liberal Democrat
  • Other
  • Independent

0 voters

Wales
  • Plaid Cymru
  • Labour
  • Conservative
  • Liberal Democrats
  • Other
  • Independent

0 voters

Northern Ireland
  • Sinn Féin
  • DUP
  • SDLP
  • UUP
  • Alliance
  • TUV
  • Green
  • PBP
  • Aontú
  • Other
  • Independent

0 voters

(Apologies for excluding any parties and just grouping them under Other, didn’t know where to draw the line and was getting lazy.)

In the year of 2022, there is an actual UKIP candidate standing in my ward. Lab Lib Con Kip. Aww it’s like peak 2014 x

2 Likes

I’ll be voting for Labour despite taking zero interest in local politics and it feeling like a caravan alight and hurtling towards a cliff edge nationally.

The imaginary ward we live in (Clifford - a name nobody has ever used ever) is very red. Since 2010 it’s voted anywhere between 72% and 84% Labour, and the Tories haven’t got more than 10% for years, so I could probably give my vote to the Greens really.

1 Like

As well as voting it’s a good ocassion to get commitments from candidates who are probably gonna win. Get them on record saying what they support/don’t so it’s harder to lie to everyone. It’s one of the few times they’re around and visible.

Many won’t even make themselves available for hustings etc. tho

3 Likes

My wife’s family in NI are all planning to vote Sinn Fein for the first time; find it fascinating that they are apparently now seen as a credible political party when they were just seen (from where I was in Scotland at least) as a facet of the IRA when I was growing up.

1 Like

Bristol’s having a referendum on whether or not to abolish the position of mayor. Have no real issue with Marvin but we have an even split of elected Labour and Green councillors and he’s only put Labour ones in his cabinet so :wave:

At the last local election I stood as a Labour candidate. Now I’m not even a member of the party. Will be voting independent.

1 Like

If the Tories don’t get mullered here I have no idea what would cause them to. I think they will, but probably not as much as they should, should just officially rename (England) as rainy fascist island.

1 Like

Seeing lots of green votes in here btw smdh
Nothing good will ever come from voting green

2 Likes

Nominally agree, but if you live in most of England, I’m not sure how else you can signal to Lab that they can’t take the left’s vote for granted.

(Undecided myself fwiw)

2 Likes

You can’t really. Trade unionism, more active engagement including speaking to your MP/candidate directly are all grand - but at the end of the day it will always always be the lesser of two evils. We’ve all had this discussion a million times over the years but your sincere political engagement is more effective in the everyday things you do, the organising and the community engagement, and the ballot box will always sadly be just about keeping Tories out for the most part. Giving power away to them in tacit support of the fuckin Greens of all people is counterproductive to it, it’s a horrible position to be in, but that’s the UK for you.

2 Likes

NI poll needs changed, we can vote all the way down the ticket! I’d do it but I’m lazy

Ah how many votes do you get? I’ll change it.

Sorry for being at it

Everyone thinks this about their green party but the NI Greens are actually quite good. They’re wise enough to distance themselves from their counterparts in the Republic who all fucking suck

2 Likes

Fair. I always think it’s a bit At It to comment on NI politics at all from this side of the water, they can do what they want.

1 Like

No worries, that’s in no way an ‘at it’! It’s an STV system so if there’s 10 candidates you can vote 1 - 10 in order of preference (1 = most preferrential).

I don’t think you can amend the poll after and it doesn’t really matter anyway

1 Like

Reckon all candidates should be quizzed on the differences between affordable rent and social rent, asked for figures on how many people are homeless, on waiting lists, in private rented accomodation etc. in the area they’re standing in, asked to explain the problems with the housing market.

If they can’t do that then they should not be councillors.

3 Likes

Binned off the old one and replaced it with a new one, let’s try that again :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Get them to do videos saying what they’re gonna do to tackle specific problems. Write their little manifestos for them.

Just really frustrates me how few politically engaged ppl actually do this stuff!!

It ends up being one or two people then the councillors hit back that they’re being bullied by people in their local branches so just engage with the people who give them an easy ride.

My understating was that abolishing it was what the Tories want, so the opposite for me.

Caveat: i haven’t read anything about this election other than the front of the envelope with my polling card, so I’m not well informed yet

1 Like