2023 Rolling Hip-Hop Thread

youre missing out. i think jeezy and ti both have early catalogs that have aged really well. i still listen to them both a ton.

1 Like

like him or not you could honestly make a case for him for like nearly ten years straight.

In popularity, sure. Canā€™t argue that heā€™s not the most well known. As the best rapper alive? Nope.

Could accept a bit of a drought from 2006-2008 at a push (though obviously some classic albums dropping) but 2004/5 was full of great mainstream, boom bap and underground releases.

1 Like

Been listening to Thug Motivation 101 a fair bit over the last couple of months, from a recommendation, and think itā€™s great. Donā€™t really know much Jeezy beyond that yet tbh, but definitely will be exploring.

1 Like

Yeah, should have specified mainstream rap. Underground rap at that time was at its peak and some of my favourite albums ever came out in that time

ayyyyyy. throw on the recession next, then the inspiration

the recession production is incredible.

1 Like

mainstream rap during this period was incredibly fun

2 Likes

that footage doing the rounds of his greatest hits shows in Harlem really hammer home how consistently full of massive tunes his output has been, irrespective of how much you personally love the music

2 Likes

obv thatā€™s m/l what theyā€™re going for here. altho the title is ā€˜best rapperā€™ its really a who had the most impact. the merits if their skills can be debated of course

1 Like

Fully aware that Iā€™m alone with this opinion haha. The Kanye/crunk/Scott Storch era has always been rubbish to me.

def not! it was a war at the time and a lot of people feel the same. but a lot of people felt the same about snoop/dre when they hit the scene and then puff in the late 90s.

would love to get a gallery of these on my office wall

Worth keeping an eye on his website. My sister got a couple for her partner a few years back - pretty reasonably priced.

https://www.daleedwinmurray.com/shop

2 Likes

A figure of endless fun for me. This article about him is incredible.

This Post Paid For By PROF$.

1 Like

No, not alone. I didnā€™t enjoy that era either.

Aside from obvious stuff like Madvillany, Beauty and the Beat, the occasional interesting thing on Def Jux (rare by then if weā€™re being honest), the odd Ghostface gemā€¦ I really canā€™t think of much else from that time that I go back to now.

(Might change my mind once Iā€™ve opened Apple Music and viewed by year).

1 Like

Love how every once in a while still I hear a verse I like and I look it up and itā€™s the Future Islands guy

(Three Hours Late on AJ Suede/Televangelā€™s Metatronā€™s Cube this time)

1 Like

Posted about it in the new albums thread - but after the chat here about this generation not really going all in on albums - Iā€™m as surprised as anyone to say Lil Yachtyā€™s Letā€™s Start Here sounds exceptional on first listen. Super spaced out and trippy, clearly made with a lot of love, trying to make a Flower Boy type leap.

He might just have pulled it offā€¦

6 Likes

I did the same when I first heard that track! Made me revisit his rap album, which I think is kind of a disappointment as I always love his guest verses, and also love Kenny Segal. Hope he does another project soon as I think he could make something excellent.

1 Like

Just started listening to the lil Yachty album. First track sounds like it couldā€™ve been picked straight off Yves Tumorā€™s last one.

vs

1 Like