3°C of warming = no more Shanghai, Miami or Fenino

it’s my thread and I’ll type Albuquerque if I want to

2 Likes

3°C of warming = no more Shanghai, Miami or Fenino

Finally, a good news climate change story…

1 Like

very few people realise what climate change actually means

many people seemingly reckon that world temperature changing by two degrees or even 5 degrees means that it’ll be the same but with more sun

in reality it’s gonna be like a horror film where the sea levels rise, the storms are powerful enough to destroy buildings, billions of people are displaced and world war brakes out over rescources… maybe not all at the same time, but within the lifetime of most of us on this website

3 Likes

No, it’s called Charters

I’d watch that tbh. 3D?

1 Like

Yeah

It’s gonna be a fucking disaster

I try to explain that 6 degrees of warming would pretty much wipe out all sealife and wild life that relies on it. It will make much if not most of the world completely uninhabitable. You will also have to deal with clouds of methane gas both poisoning people as well as causing massive fireball situations. The earth will basically be a hell scape and the equatorial regions will start getting to heats and humidities that would kill in minutes. It would be a real existential threat. 95% of species were extinct last time the earth had this sort of warming. Yes and those methane eruptions could release energy equivalent to 10,000 times the world’s stockpile of nuclear weapons! Ouch

3 degrees is still easily enough to be the biggest global catastrophe in human history (certainly recorded history) and beyond that we dont know the snowballing risks involved in that. Trapped methane under ice etc. Its potentially the ‘tipping point’ where it will run off to be a 6 degree hell scape. Even if it isnt we can expect 25 metre sea rise El Nino conditions most years causing drought and crop failure in some regions and catastrophic flooding in others. Southern Africa and most of central America will be completely uninhabitable as the Amazon rainforsest turns into savanna dropping the ability for the earth to reabsorb C02. Rivers in the US and Asia will start to fail most years and without out real preparation food scarcity will be a critical levels with much of the world starving to death and rationing to be expected even in rich western countries.

For all these things facing us you expect to see huge infrastructure changes to deal with such an unpredictable future. Genuine sacrifices as well. Energy efficiency to be strongly rolled in until renewable energy kicks in and I dont mean not leaving your TV in standby. I mean structural changes to industry practices. Instead we have none of that. We ether have dangerous people who refuse to believe that there is any problem at all or those that limply push proposals that move round the margins without any recognition that this is a crisis level threat.

1 Like

My advice is move to Canada, Norway, Sweden, Scotland, or the best pick Iceland, before the bridges go up.

It terrifies me beyond the capacity for rational thought tbq-fucking-h. There’ll be holocausts of wildlife and human populations happening so frequently it won’t be worth counting after a while. Multiple world wars happening simultaneously over dwindling resources, billions of refugees, poisoned clouds of gas, city-sized fire storms…Christ.

The bigger stuff like that is easy to dismiss cos you can’t get your head around it, but then when I’m just thinking about random, seemingly minor stuff, like that there won’t be any snow leopards anymore by the time my grandchildren are in school, well it makes me feel unbelievably sad.

TBF you were the one mentioning a DiS meet in your original post so continuing the whimsy doesn’t seem out of place.