3 tracks that have made 2018 a bit more bearable

2018 has been another absolute fuckshow. Music helps. Which three tracks have made things a little bit less shit?

Mine:

1 Like

It’s a good thing music is so very good right now. Literally everything else can fuck right off.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’ll give a reason for each.

Deafheaven - Honeycomb - The world is shit, but discovering Deafheaven might have been the closest I’ve come to that feeling of musical discovery I got when I was a kid or in college. It’s simultaneously not my thing and exactly my thing. It kind of makes me feel like shit, but the excitement and magic outweigh that enough for it to make this list.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Silvery Sometimes - The world is shit, but the most important musical force of my life tapped into something special. It’s well documented that I love everything he’s released (a double understatement), but it was exciting hearing that specific intangible magic that only Billy Corgan can produce. For a brief moment it makes me forget that we’re all fucked.

IDLES - Danny Nedelko - Seconding this. People complain that it’s too direct or simplistic or whatever, but I think that’s exactly what we need - if this year (and the prior two) have taught us anything, it’s that a lot of people are shockingly stupid and racist. I’ve watched lifelong friends devolve into Trump voters or the type of “moderate” who defends white supremacists every chance they get for civility / contrarian points. This song is the kind of joyous “fuck these assholes, we’re better than that” shout-along the world needs right now.

1 Like