A big, meandering Parquet Courts thread

Don’t think they’ve made a classic like Crooked Rain or Slanted but I reckon they’ve got it in them. Although in five-ish years you could make a pretty incredible best-of

Just in terms of lyrics/character and musical style they’re always the reference point for me. Don’t think there’s another band that’s recaptured the same qualities that made Pavement so good. Think they’ve established their own style though too

3 Likes

Every time that intro to Mardi Gras Beads comes on I think of Range Life.

1 Like

Hiya

1 Like

Just revisiting Human Performance. What a fucking great album! Can’t wait for the new one

3 Likes

Read this initially and thought “Pfffftttt” but been listening to both bands a lot this week and think this is a great shout.

Really loving Almost Had to Start a Fight… trying to avoid listening to Wide Awake so I can come at it as fresh as possible. Am I right in holding off or should just jump in?

If it feels right, do it

Cheers! How long til release?

Not till May :triumph:

I love them. They’ve always reminded me of pavement. Im not sure about Wide Awake. The start of the video reminds me of an OKGO video (only less high concept).

I think their first(?) album, Light Up Gold really is as good as Pavement. One or two of the tracks steal ridiculously from Pavement though. Don’t think they’ve topped it except for maybe Milano (if that counts as a legitimate PC album)

I love Wide Awake, it’s big and dumb but loads of fun

4 Likes

Yeah Light Up Gold’s by far my favourite. Think all of the subsequent releases have at least a few great songs but are inconsistent

Second favourite release is probably the A. Savage solo LP

2 Likes

Big fan of this performance:

9 Likes

Sweet. Roll on May 18 …

You have the power now. Click the spanner icon (appropriately) in the thread

1 Like

So now they’re performing on Ellen and doing songs with a more mainstream focus, how long until this board turns on them?

As long as they don’t start supporting For Britain, we’re good

2 Likes

Good for them!

Didn’t say it was bad for them, just historically on these boards when a well liked band has a cross over hit , they are then considered shit. It can take a few years but but the shift happens most the time.It’s a shame really. Classic example Biffy Clyro.