A cricket thread for NeWDiS šŸ¦—

The young Afghan lad finished with match figures of 41.3 - 16 - 76 - 6, and spun Derbyshire to victory. Extraordinary effort, get that boy in the brand new Afghanistan test team.

3 Likes

^this

1 Like

I did think that, but even England wouldnā€™t steal from a fledgling Afghanistan team, fighting against all odds, with almost no chaā€¦

Actually, never mind.

[some] England international T20s and the domestic T20 competiton on the BBC from 2020. Imagine that - Live sport on free TV! Great news!

1 Like

a format called twenty20 going to the BBC in the year 2020, wonder how theyā€™ll market that one

Badly, probably :smiley:

1 Like

Apart from yer man the Country and Western singer opening up the batting.

Itā€™s a weird old bowling attack, for sure. I can think of at least four more deserving players than Helm and Garton even if I limit myself to only picking fast bowling brothers. The Overrans, if you will. If it wasnā€™t for Plunkett Iā€™d assume they were just making sure no-one who might actually ever find themselves in an England shirt got hurt.

1 Like

Wouldā€™ve loved to see Hameed back but his formā€™s been a bit shite I guess.

Yeah think mentally he always looked pretty assured. Going off his body language in those Tests in India he looked like heā€™d been opening for England for years.

This is an excellent read.

Always knew Donald was a good lad.

aye, superb article. Had to watch the highlights of the start of the 4th innings at lunch.

Donaldā€™s autobiography (I think itā€™s mentioned there) is a good read actually - nothing ground shaking like Trescothick or McGrathā€™s, but easy and not too long, interesting about growing up in SA at that period, and a few good insiderā€™s descriptions of some tussles. I love the fact that Donald signed the glove whilst having drinks with Athers in the bar afterwards, and even more so I love how Donald went up from fine leg to Boucher in the over after Boucher dropped a pretty straightforward one off him, just to give him a bit of encouragement.

Are you off to see any of the series this year?

My brother and I are going to the third day at the Oval at the end of the month. Itā€™s been too long since I saw a day of international cricket.

Heh. Iā€™m going to the third day, too!

Also, a friend has a spare ticket for Lordā€™s on Thursday. Not sure of the price but if anyone fancies it then shout.

No, canā€™t take time off work and every weekend from here to eternity is booked out. Off to a domestic T20 for the first time though. Iā€™ve got my eye on a day or two vs India or Pakistan next year, maybe go to Trent Bridge.

Yeah, there are quite a lot of T20 matches on in the evenings, which are always good fun for an afterwork trip, even if the rest of the crowd never seem that interested.

Where are you sat? Weā€™re in the new stand (canā€™t remember what they call it these days). Last time I went to the Oval to watch test cricket we were right next to the steps where the players come out in the Bedser. I got to say hello to Tendulkar and watch Kumble move the England bowlers around the ground. Which was nice.

Day 4 at Trent Bridge for me, also supposed to be going to Old Trafford but Iā€™ve double booked myself with the World Athletics. Donā€™t even care about the athletics, frankly, but I canā€™t really back out. Annoying.

Donald, who like most of the South Africans thought Corkā€™s talk:walk ratio left a lot to be desiredā€¦

Nice.

Weā€™re in the Mayā€™s stand which has been redone recently but is attached to the pavillion. Do you mean the OCS stand are the other end?

Iā€™ve not been to test match cricket since 2005. Iā€™ve been spending my money on seeing quite a bit of county cricket and watching the serious stuff on TV.