A cricket thread for NeWDiS 🦗

I have convinced the TV that when it says WASP on the sky scoreboard it stands for “weirdly accurate score predictor”

1 Like

So glad someone else has picked up on this, been doing my nut for ages

So. Guess which ex England cricketer I saw this afternoon in the Ashford “flip out” children’s trampolining venue?

Ben Stokes?

2 Likes

That would be fun but no. Did score a double ton for England once though.

Graham Thorpe.

1 Like

Rob Key?

1 Like

Big Nasser Hussain?
Second vote for BIG ROB KEY

1 Like

jonathon trott

Collingwood.

BIG Ian Bell

Vince Wells?

We have a :1st_place_medal: winner!
Rob key with some kids (I assume his)

1 Like

he had the keys,

he had the secrets?

2 Likes

Alistair Cookie Collective?('Kin 'ell CCB)

1 Like

If I didn’t know better I’d say this was a euphemism.

1 Like

A nine team test championship where each team plays six series, three home and three away. How do they schedule that? I’d take India, Australia and Pakistan over here, thank you very much.

I like the idea of a test championship, but home advantage is huge, surely?

As long as it switches each time, like six nations. Interested to see how it pans out! Main concern would be weather issues for the one off games

that sounds like American Football logic to me. I suppose. So is this just going to be test cricket now? as in will all matches contribute to it and then whoever is ranked best every two years heads off to a final? I can get behind that, although home advantage is going to be huge on those finals, unless they are held neutrally.
… and yeah, no playing the final at Edgbaston or Old Trafford!

American Football?!?! It’s Six Nations logic, ya flamin gallah! Although I think you play the final at whichever country finished top of the league, which is a bit NFL.

Regardless, I think the ICC needs to independently (and I’ve got vague hopes for this, certainly more so than 2 years ago) take control of international fixtures. Leaving it up to each country has resulted in far too much cricket, and a money now mentality rather than ensuring the best future for the game. Personally, I think all series should be 3 or 4 test matches. I find it ridiculous that the second tier test nations are expected to be able to improve playing 2 match series.

Not sure about ODIs and 20/20s - could either go for equivalent number of test matches OR do a tri-series in between the two test series (when possible), featuring the 3 nations involved in the two test series.