A cricket thread for NeWDiS šŸ¦—

Five live sports extra has coverage all day, if you are in a position to listen. I am, and I will do.

Thanks! Itā€™s always tough on one team when teams are level on points, but it always seem even tougher in the county championship.

Although - arenā€™t Yorkshire 3 points behind as it stands, and on 235 in first innings? Hence theyā€™d need 250, 300, and 350 waymarks to get 3 points to get to level pegging?

Iā€™ve read that Yorkshire just need 350 and the win, but I just canā€™t calculate it from the table! Apologies if Iā€™m being dense. Maybe the ā€˜as it standsā€™ cricinfo table is awry?

As I understand itā€¦ Yorkshire were 1 point ahead of Somerset before the matches started, so they need to match Somersetā€™s result. Somerset are going to win and scored >350, so thatā€™s what Yorkshire need to do. In the process they would beat Middlesex and overtake them.

Somerset need Yorkshire to not do as well as them, but still win.

Middlesex need to win, if they do everything else is irrelevant.

Good stuff, that makes total sense, thanks. Come on Somerset! I guess Yorkshire making 340 or so would be good for that.

Warks already lost a wicket. Top stuff. Moves the game on at least.

Yorkshire are living dangerously. 16 runs through the slips/gully already this morning, and now a drop.

Another drop!

Interesting excerpt from Trotts biography published in the Telegraph. It might be the most confrontational section of the book but it definitely reminds you that their could be some top beef to settle if he goes into it.

This is edge of your seat stuff. I reckon Middlesex might be out of the reckoning now, Rafiq gone with Yorkshire needing another 30. Come on Bressie lad.

Middlesex definitely not out of it yet. If Yorkshire donā€™t get to 350, theyā€™ve effectively got nothing to play for except pride. They would only be 70 ish ahead, and Middlesex would have everything to play for and would push hard. Basically the next 15 overs are crucial.

Canā€™t believe Bresnanā€™s still going. Bloody Yorkshire!

Vaughan in ā€œlooking like a self-interested bellendā€ shocker.

Whoā€™d have thought?!

Patterson gone. Lunch taken on 333-8.

Now Brooks straight after lunch 334-9. Could be exactly the scenario that Somerset wanted.

oh my goodness this is tight

I donā€™t know what i want to happen, but i certainly donā€™t want it to happen even more than i do want it to happen

Iā€™m fairly clear about wanting a wicket. If Yorkshire canā€™t win they probably wont set up a shoot out with Middlesex.

Exactly

(definitely want Somerset to win)

Iā€™d like them to win, as theyā€™ve neā€™er done so, but i have no affinity. I just like the tension, really.

Yorkshire fan here. This is agonisingā€¦